This Disappears When Logged In

Girdled Lizards, Need Help

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Vincent, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

I was buy they was 2 days,but I not found they eat. and they just stay in cave. When I force them out cave, they run very fast have seem as panic, and now I must do How to help them activities and have can eat. I very need help from the you. Hope that the you will help I.Thanks

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

You have had them for 2 days? They are probably fine for a week or so with out eating, i'm not sure i don't know much about them, someone else will help more.

They are probably really stressed, and you forcing them out of their hide is making them more so, you look like you want to eat them from their point of view. Cover up at least 3 sides of the tank for now if not a bit more so they can feel more comfortable and well hidden and keep quite and give them space for a while. See if they start venturing out more and eating.

3. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

Thank kendalle,information your very Helpful for I.
    I will follow what you say!
    This is Photos C.tropidosternum
    IMG030.jpg
    IMG031.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

I was shielding around enclosure for they,but I not see they out cave!
    Now I must do what?

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Just wait a few days.

6. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

today I still not see they eat,now I must do what?
    they only in cave and I not see they out cave.
    I need the you help! Thanks

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, like Kendalle said, you must wait until the lizards are feeling safe in the enclosure, that can take a week or two, only then will they come out of their hiding place, and then they should start to eat, but then you must NOT try to hold them, only clean out the cage, put food and water in for them, you must be VERY patient! Tell me the temperature and humidity, (air temp, basking temp etc), and what you are using to measure them, a digital thermometer or an analogue? Also, which light/heat bulb are you using? Thanks, keep asking questions!

8. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

Thanks murrindindi
    temperature around enclosure is 35 degrees.Point heating is 40 degree.
    I use thermometer to measurement. I use a UVB 10.0,UVA 60w.
    I use sand to lined background for they should I not measure humidity.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you need the ambient (air) temp to be around 30c (86F), but the basking area should be between 49 to 54c (120 to 130F), maybe you need a higher wattage heat bulb, how big is the tank in centimeters? The sand is good.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks, but that`s Cordylus tropidosternum tropidosternum, there`s another sub species; Cordylus tropidosternum jonesii, the latter is a smaller animal, so I just wondered which one he has, as I can`t tell from the photo.

11. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

Thank murrindindi.
    do how to adjustment environment around about 30 degree?
    I will adjustment temperature for they.
    I care they in a enclosure 60x30x40.
    and today I was see dejecta of they.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think you need a bigger tank because it is small size, you cannot get range of temperatures, better if it was approx. 90cm long X 45cm high X 45cm wide, in that you can have lower temp in one side, higher in the other. Is that possible for you to do? Good they go to the toilet!

13. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

hi murrindindi
    I care they in a enclosure 60x40x40 like that have stable!
    If now I move they to enclosure other,they have stress and panic?
    I see they discharged dejecta,but not see they eat and only in cave!

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I understand what you are saying, but it is not possible to provide proper basking temperature and also have cool areas in a small tank, moving will be stressful, but they are not calm now, you say they stay hidden, you only have them for a few days, so I believe it will be better to move to a bigger tank where you can give them suitable heating.
    Do you have another bigger tank?
    It is your decision, I can only say what I think will be best for the animals, if you do not agree, that is fine!

15. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

I will do follow the what you said.
    I will move they to enclosure larger.
    And I have need misting for they to moisturizing?
    When I move they to enclosure larger, if they still in cave not out. I must do what? Thanks

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It will be easier to get the very high basking temperature and have a cooler area in a larger tank, so I think you made good decision! :)
    No misting, they come from a very dry environment, just put a shallow dish of water for them to drink from. I think it would be advisable if you can buy a "temp-gun", that will tell you the surface temp anywhere in the enclosure, especially useful for the basking area, as I said, you need approximately 49 to 54c (120 to 130f) You should be able to get one on "ebay", have a look and see, they are not too expensive.
    The reason they are staying in the cave is because they are not yet acclimated to the tank or to you, once you can get the temps at the recommended level, they should start to explore the enclosure, but you MUST be patient, if you keep looking at them closely through the glass, or try to pick them up, they will be more stressed just now. I have a friend who keeps C. t. jonesii, they are very tame, and interesting to watch, but he`s had them a couple of years (but it shouldn`t take that long before you can hold them)! Tell me if you can get the "Temp-gun".

17. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

Now I will move they in enclosure larger,and in time they in cave I have need provide food for they??
    And I was shielding around enclosure for they feel safety!
    In enclosure larger I have need decorative for they more cave?
    And articles I need do now is continue waiting they out from cave?
    have can care a male and woman in a enclosure larger?
    I have need must separation male and woman to 2 enclosure different?
    thank you murrindindi!

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Good you have moved them into a bigger tank, yes, always try to see if they will eat , you can put more than one cave for them, put on cool side and on warm side, so they can choose which they prefer, and good you cover the cave so they feel safe.
    Yes, now you must be patient and wait for few days, give them time to feel safe in the new tank, only put food and water and clean for now.
    Yes, you can have male and female together in the same tank, it`s recommended to keep in small group, so even two females and only one male is o.k.
    Tell me the temperatures now, warm side and cooler side, and also, can you buy a "Temp-gun" to check surface temps (basking area), and can you show me photo of the thermometer you are using? (It must be digital).

19. Vincent

Vincent Active Member

Hi murrindindi
    someone says with I C.tropidosternum they need humidity,and should misting for they a or two times a day.
    Now I have need change substrate keep humidity for they?
    And you said they to from arid where. not misting for they so I should use sand or a substrate have can keep humidity for they?
    I should use type substrate what now?
    I was provide for they bowl deep small,and now have need provide cricket for they?
    and here is the what I have was to measure humidity and temperature
    for they!
    51x8HNaFkYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Thank

Attached Files:

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member