This Disappears When Logged In

Gimmicks

Discussion in 'General' started by Microscope Jockey, Nov 6, 2004.

?

Which do you feel is the worst gimmicky herp product?

1. Leo leashes

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Can-o-crix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hot rocks

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  4. Moon drops

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. Snake sausages

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. No opinion at this time

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

I'm thinking about calling the folks who make leo leashes and seeing if they make little leo straight jackets, in which case I will be ordering three! I will also ask if they make dunce caps for boa constrictors :p

While I'm thinkng about it has anybody ever picked apart the crix from can-o-crix? I'm thinking they are just exoskeletans, no guts right? While I'd feed that to my fish, because some fish have chitinases, I wouldn't bother feeding it to the lizards as I'm fairly certain they don't have much chitinase.

As and aside: I don't feed my animals anything I couldn't theoretically ingest myself ;)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Heather according to the pr (and we KNOW that would be truthful :rolleyes: ) The crix are gutloaded and then cooked in the can.
    I'll stick to live!

3. Mark

Mark Elite Member

How about the light bulbs that are "specially designed" to simulate moon light, or the corrected spectrum "basking" lights for lizards. I think these are gimmicks.

Hot Rocks are a different matter, I don't think they are a gimmick as they do what they are intended to -- get hot and heat things put on top of them -- just they are dangerous because they do it too well. Anyone know if a fire can be attributed to one that had been placed on newspaper cage liner? I wonder if I could have used mine as a coffee warmer for my mug? Oh well, my coffee does not last long enough to get cold and the cord has long since been used to wire a lamp.

Guess it is just in how you intrepret "worst gimmick"

4. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

It makes peat moss sweaty... The warmth makes it kind of humid and gross. Wet or not.

5. fo0d

fo0d Member

After looking at the poll again it reminded me that few days back I've seen two iguanas on their leashes, and these were designed to go around the neck!

The iguanas were constantly opening their mouths as any reptile with respiratory problems.

I live in Italy were herpithology is not really practised nor respected as a respectful way of pet keeping and I've noticed alot of products sold here go straight against most of the procinciples we would carry out in order to keep our herps healthy.

For example I've found petstores keeping corns in tanks with very fine sand, and I've seen a ball python which took ages to get sold being kept in a tank with the thermometers pointing at 22°C.

I've also seen fake care sheets being sold with animals and other pets being sold with no origin certificate, which means they were brought to Italy throught the black market.

My girl got me the ball python, and I'm pretty sure he's not from any European origin. Sadly she wasn't aware of local laws, but I just can't give him to authorities, he's my personal little snake :D

Herp gimmiks are everywhere, even in the biggest pet stores, especially things to do with Iguanas and Chamaleons, at least in Italy that is ..

6. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

Here in washington there are no real HERP vets. There are people who have had experience with some herps. Which still they don't have correct info for us. For instance, this fool told me to feed my beardy which had coccidia mealworms by force feeding. I said isn't that wrong? Babies should not even have mealworms. He said well for this problem you just need to get him energized to motivate him to eat. Every thing will be fine after a few mealworms a week and some crickets. Of coarse my beardy was awfully in pain and close to what looked like death... So yes, even some vets and pet stores will not learn all true facts.

7. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I have to say that heat rocks are seriously dangerous and still sold in petstores. I can't believe how popular they got yet they can injure or even kill a herp.

8. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

I have to agree with most all of you. The hot rock is just not a safe product for any reptile....unless you cut the cord and use it for decoration.

I have seen too many reptiles that have been badly burned by the hot rocks. I just do not care for them in any way at all.

Debbie Iggy Bam-Bam and Miss Zak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.