This Disappears When Logged In

Gimmicks

Discussion in 'General' started by Microscope Jockey, Nov 6, 2004.

?

Which do you feel is the worst gimmicky herp product?

1. Leo leashes

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Can-o-crix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hot rocks

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  4. Moon drops

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. Snake sausages

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. No opinion at this time

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

Which do you think is the worst herp product gimmick and why?

2. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

WEl, hot rocks are awful. Still there are some very special brands control the amount of heat and have no hot spots. Can of crickets (cooked inside the can) are great for a stubborn lazy feeder. My geckos love em, but some hate em. Leo leashes are highly not reccomended but a small amount of leos will tolerate them. MOON drops? Never heard of em but they seem rather fake. Snake sausages are eaten by snakes too. Just not a large amount of them. Before I am 100 percent sure of all of these products I am not going to vote.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If by the Moon Drops you mean solar drops the stuff that is supposed to take away the need for uvb light by dribbling it on their food? THAT is completely useless!

4. Microscope Jockey

Oh there are MOON drops to go with the solar drops *excessive eye rolling* They are for nocturnal lizards. Sorry I forgot "I have no opinion at this time" and that sand that is supposed to be "safe" if ingested *more eye rolling*

5. MoLdYpOtAtOe

erm, what sand?

6. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

I think hot rocks are the worst, because all the other products probably won't hurt your herp, but a hot rock can kill them.

7. fo0d

fo0d Member

My friend's ball python got a severe burn from a hotrock. As a result of the burn it refused to eat for 4 months and wasnt able to move properly due to some nasty blisters on his body.

Luckily it started eating again but it still shows signs of the burn.

So yes. Hot rocks are definetly the worst product of that list.

8. MoLdYpOtAtOe

I have been reading upon moon drops, otherwise solar drops. These cause liver failure and other liver problems with a over dose or two quite easily. I still can't decide. Btw, the overdoses usually result in a painful death.

9. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I added the option of "no opinion", wasn't sure if you wanted sand adding??

Calci-sand makes a lot of claims that if ingested it is digestable and therefore it can be eaten with no worries, but this is not the case - the sand is not digestable and can cause impaction, as with any other particle substrate.

I have to go for hot rocks i think - i can't believe people still recommend their use and they are just not neccessary. Although the other options you have there all deserve a mention.

10. fo0d

fo0d Member

Well since I'm here, I need you guys to enlighten me. Snake sausages are made of ground mice parts aren't they? Could they be dangerous for the snake?

Its just for curiosity, as my snakes both eat live prey and would rather give birth to a cow than eat frozen :D

11. Merlin

Correct. They are ground up whole rodents and are not harmful to the snakes. In fact they are very useful to those who may have household members reluctant to open a freezer and see dead rodents in there with the human food.
    However they are more expensive than just buying a rodent for the snake so are a bit self defeating.

12. Microscope Jockey

Yes they are ground rodent parts. I'm not sure if there is any way snake sausages could be harmful or not. I just think they are silly, while I think most of my snakes would probably eat them, I figure if you are too squeamish to feed a snake a dead mouse then you probably ought not to be keeping snakes to begin with.

13. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I can't decide, hot rocks work really good once you cut off that annoying cord. Snake sausages go really good with eggs and home fries. I don't have a leo yet. And I haven't tried the other products.

14. Microscope Jockey

Well? What are you waiting for? :p

15. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

When Duke has some spawn I will be the first on the list of adopters. lol

16. Microscope Jockey

Why would anybody in thier right mind want spawn-o-Duke? :p Probably the same reason they'd turn half thier livingroom into ig condos ;)

17. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I'm sure by now all the members know that I'm not quite in the right state of mind. But my herps love me and that's all that matters. lol

18. Merlin

They would also be very useful if you have a roommate who insists on eating YOUR food! Just leave a saucer of them with toothpicks stuck in them, in the fridge (complete with dipping sauce) and then wait! :eek:

19. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

GACK :eek: I'd rather eat a whole mouse than a snake sausage! :D

I voted hot rocks because after all I've read about them causing severe burns, they terrify me! As has been said before, the only way I'd use one is with the cord cut off!

20. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Doublegack! :eek:

I know someone who once (a long time ago) left dog treats on a platter in the break room where he works because people kept taking his food out of the refrigerator. He left the plate of treats sitting on the counter with the clearly labeled dog treat box very close by. Poeple still ate the things! Good grief!

And someone once ate half of my mother's green olive and mayonnaise sandwich out of the refrigerator at the hospital where she's a registered nurse.

Why do people take food that doesn't belong to them? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.