This Disappears When Logged In

Gil's new enclosure (Iguana)

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by SurvivorSteph, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I've been in my new house for about two months now, and it's finally time to post some pics of Gil's new home. You may remember that I couldn't use his old one because it was too large for my cozy (read: small) home, and that we had to build a new enclosure.

I actually like the new one better... it's "finished," something my ex had difficulty doing. The front is bead board, so it has a casual, country look to it, the back (that faces the walls) is just ugly paneling, and the inside is backer board that one would use in a shower enclosure... not the prettiest thing, but waterproof.

The old enclosure was a royal pain to move, so I made sure to design this one to come apart easily and in small enough sections so that two people could carry it with ease.

The left side back wall is 5 feet and the right side back wall is 4 feet. Each side wall is 2 feet and made from a sliding glass pet door framed into the wall. The man door makes up the entire front and is about 33 inches. I've used plywood for basking shelves and wire closet shelving for ramps. The base is covered in sheet vinyl and faced with left over laminate flooring. I added black curtains on the outside for night-time use to block ambient light from the TV and other areas of the house.

The top slides over the walls and down into the enclosure with a piece of plywood on top to keep in the heat. I use a Mega Ray Externally Ballasted UVB light and a 75 watt incandescent bulb for light/heat during the day. At night a 200 watt ceramic heat emitter keeps temps from dropping too low, and a warm-mist humidifier keeps the air moist.

I don't have construction photos (everyone was busy working under tight deadlines), but here's the finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Nah...he's not spoiled...

3. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

i agree mosh pit. that iguana is obviously unloved and should be taken away from steph immediately. ;). When I get an iguana, i may use that as the basis for my enclosure, it's great

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That looks great Steph! Its about time you posted it. ;)

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I love it Steph, the whole thing actually looks like a custom shower.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Awesome job. Gets an A overall. Would have been an A+ if there had been production photos.:D

7. Moshpitrockchick

I love it, if we decide to rebuild Dizzy's tank from the ground up I might have to go with the corner unit idea that a lot of people are adopting, right now he's got a 6ft tall 4x4ft cage that needs an upgrade.

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Thats beautiful!! you can tell he is so unloved, lol :D I like corner units, unfortunately I seem to be running out of corners, lol

9. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

That is gorgeous. I looks so much like a piece of furniture! Can I hire you to make me one? ;)

10. Spikes the name

Spikes the name Elite Member

That really looks great.
    Gil looks quite impressed.

11. venus

venus Founding Member

Wow, that looks awesome Steph, I bet he is a happy fella.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

great job steph. Are igs happy with green-less enclosures? It looks so bare compared to the frogs. I know my treefrogs are from jungle and igs have a much more arid climate.

13. Fanner

Fanner Elite Member

WOW :eek: That is amazing! I agree, it does look like a custom shower :)

14. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

That looks amazing!! Makes me wish I was an iguana lol.:)

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Iguanas actually come from a forest type environment. The problem is they are VERY hard on any sort of cage decorations! As long as they have height to climb on they are fine.

16. Moshpitrockchick

Dizzy had a huge ficus....atleast it looked huge when he was a hatchling, he dwarfs it now and tore it to shreds. He has the very sterile shower like cage too.

17. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Fake plants get the same treatment, I'm afraid. If you want them to have green, you're better off just painting the cage!

As long as they get their twenty pounds of food a day, warm lights to bask under, plenty of height, and a willing slave to wait on their every need, they're happy. ;)

18. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree that I don't care for the sterile look. His last enclosure was painted with a varigated green, and I liked it much better. We just didn't have the time this go-round.

BUT I am researching PDFs (poison dart frogs), so I'll probably have green soon!

19. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Did you say researching PDF's? Hmm I think we have someone willing to be cohersed into writing a caresheet. OH MARSHA, RICH.

20. venus

venus Founding Member

So what are you trying to say? Since Steph is doing all this research, she needs to write a sheet? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.