This Disappears When Logged In

Giant Vinegaroons!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by furryscaly, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL!
    So our Juliane has now been Google-ized! :cool:

With that sort of recognition maybe now her hubby will let her get another snake!

2. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

what no camel spiders yet? :)

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Not YET, but someday. They're actually known as solifugids, cause they're not spiders at all. Other names they go by are camel spider, sun spider, wind scorpion, and solpugid. Like mantids and phasmids, one of the reasons they're not that common as pets is because they only live for about a year. If I see any for sale at a reasonable price, you can bet I'll buy it though :D

4. MAM

MAM Active Member

Funky looking little critters. Not really my cup of tea (its that issue with critters with more than four legs thing I have), but interesting to look at from the safety of the other side of the monitor.

So are they related to any creepies folks in general might be familiar with are are they in a whole group unto themselves? How big do they get? Where are they native too? How easy will they be to breed? What sort of enclosure do you keep them in and can they all be kept together or do you need to separate them? Gee, for not being my cup of tea, I have tons of questions about them...............

5. ReptileMan27

ReptileMan27 Elite Member

I really like the tailess whip scorpions. Nice addition :)

6. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

the myth of the camel spiders is that they bite the your leg in the middle of the night and inject a numbing agent and by morning you have no leg left. there was a couple pictures floating around a while back about the soldiers in iraq fighting these things off one picture showed what apeared to be one devouring another as a soldier was holding them in the air. not sure i really believe the biting your leg off thing but i know im not going to find out first hand :)

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Vinegaroons are in the class Arachnida, the same class scorpions and spiders are in. While spiders are Order Aranea, and scorpions are Order Scorpionidae, vinegaroons are in the Order Uropygi, along with tailless whipscorpions.

This species gets about 6 inches long including the tail and legs. Giant vinegaroons are native to the southern US, like Texas, but they're hardly ever seen. As for breeding, very few people breed these, so I'm not sure how easy it will be. If I'm successful, I'll be one of the few people in the country that do it. I keep them in Sterilite bins, and they can be housed together as long as they're similar in size.

8. Dee

Dee Elite Member

Wow, Matt, you really are addicted to creepy crawlies... I find them fascinating as long as they're contained (except for the millipedes *shudder* please keep away the millipedes! LOL)

9. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

hey matt how long do the vinegaroons live?i saw some camel spiders for sale and a wholesale spot i went to, for work,(they were about half a inch long)but i didnt buy one because of there short lifespan, vinys live longer than the camels??

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Vinegaroons have a very slow rate of growth. I'm not sure of the exact number of years, but its been estimated at being between 5-9 years.

11. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

5-9 years! ok ok i guess theres something new to add to my wish list.wheres the best place to buy one?and more or less whats the price range for a small one.oh and whats better a female or male?gotta go now,gonna learn some more stuff about them....

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

They don't live as long as tarantulas, which can live for 20 years, but they certainly have a life span for being a bug. You'll have to order them online. I got mine from Scott at SCR Inverts. According to his website, he has some currently:

http://whatsyournightmare.com/photostrip-frames.html

As for buying a small one, you'll be hard pressed to find one. Currently 100% of vinegaroons are wild caught if you're buying from a certified dealer. If you get them from a private breeder, then you could possibly get young ones, but I don't know of anyone that breeds them yet (I'm trying to do that myself). You could email Scott and ask for the smallest one he has though. I don't think any one sex is better than the other with this species. Both seem to get about the same size and as far as I know have the same life expectancy.

13. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

hey furry,i ordered a vinegaroon from strictlys and it should be here tuesday (11/8)i cant wait!i have a small plastic shoebox for him with 1" 1/2 of peatmoss and a little vermiculite,a shallow dish for water and a small hide,is that cool??would it be ok to place a layer of live moss on the substrate?what about lighting? can i give him some light so i can obsrve him when hes out and about?can all vinegaroons be handled or are some too wild?(lots of questions huh?)

14. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Sounds pretty good to me. What size is the shoebox though? And what size is the hide? Live moss will be fine, but lighting is best avoided. These guys are nocturnal, and with light they'll only hide or burrow (which is why they're rarely seen even in areas they're native to). As long as the substrate is deep enough and has the right consistency for burrowing, and the hide is of a suitable size, then lighting shouldn't be a problem though.

As with any other invert, its best to not handle them if you can avoid it. However, some species are more aggressive than others, and some individuals too. My Mastigoproctus giganteus are fairly calm, and only sprayed me when I was sexing them. The larger pair is more calm than the smaller pair though. My Minbosius manilanus are definately more defensive. One touch got me sprayed one time, lol. They've calmed down over time, but they're still more prone to spray than the giganteus. Aside from that one photo session, and when I showed them to various friends, I haven't handled any of them.

Its cool to see someone else getting some of these guys :) What species did you order?

15. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

hey matt, its here!!she/he's a m.giganteus.its soo cool! can it be sexed from this pic?i already held her, lol. i let her walk on the floor and a couple of times she kinda paused and jerked kinda backwards and kept walking straight,was that a spay move???do they point their tail any direction your standing to spray you?check her out... [​IMG]

16. fangsalot

fangsalot Elite Member

p.s. have some other salamander species available!

17. GiftigeSpinne

GiftigeSpinne Elite Member

*drools* Need..... Giant..... Vinagroon...... Must.... Have... Dying without.....VINAGROONS!

lol

I would really really apreciate if anyone could help me find a place where I can get them in canada... Alot of onlines breeders cant ship to me in canada >.<

18. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

Awsome!!

19. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Have you asked Scott at SCR Invertebrates if he ships to Canada?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.