This Disappears When Logged In

Giant Vinegaroons!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by furryscaly, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I got these on Friday and I love them! I've always wanted some vinegaroons, aka whipscorpions (though they're not actually scorpions). From what I can tell I have 2 males and 2 females, which is good cause I want to breed them. Their names are Hera, Ares, Bent, and Broken. They're a little dirty.

Hera
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ares
    [​IMG]

Hera and Ares
    [​IMG]

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Broken, giving a threat display
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bent (right) and Broken (left) being angry at me together
    [​IMG]

They're called vinegaroons because they shoot acetic acid out of their tails as a defense. Its cool to watch them eat. They use the front pair of legs like antennae, and feel for prey. Then they use the chelae to quicky snatch it up. The way their chelae work is kind of like a cross between a scorpion's and a mantid's claws :D

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Wow...those are awesome Matt...Thanks alot for sharing.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

those are awesome! ive never heard of em..you have all sorts of awesome critters dont you?! :)

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Thanks guys :) lol, yup, I have all sorts :D These are arachnids, but they're not spiders or scorpions. They're in a group called Uropygi, which includes whipscorpions and tailless whipscorpions. They're not venomous, but the acid might burn a little bit, and some people are allergic to it. Broken got her name cause her tail is broken, and Bent got his for a similar reason. What I need now are some tailless whipscorpions and solifugids!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Vinegaroons are so strange looking!
    And the name always sounded to me like some sort of really nasty cookie!;)

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, I imagine these would taste rather nasty too :p

8. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

Oh man, those are just wicked cool. You find some of the neatest animals.

9. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

How much are you paying your bother and sister to watch your zoo??

Would never be enough for me! LOL

How big are those things?

Scary looking creatures Matt. You are truly strange. :p

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

hmmm...you can keep those guys. no thanks for me. i prefer the pics of your mantids. :)

11. greydragon

greydragon Active Member

those guys are cool but i like from the best

12. greydragon

greydragon Active Member

oops thats frog the best sorry

13. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

So far I pay them in character, experience, and expensive birthday/Xmas presents :eek: They'll get quite a bit eventually though. Most of the inverts are with me here though. The vinegaroons, scorpions, centipedes, millipedes, slugs, mantids, wasps, widows, fish, american toads, 2 of my turtles, and most of the tarantulas all live here with me.

Hera's the largest at about 3 inches body length (7.5 cm) and about 6 inches with the legs and tail (15 cm). lol, and thanks :p

14. topacelot

topacelot Elite Member

lol...those are pretty weird...do their claws pinch enough to be a bother or they can't really harm you?
    yeah, I could definitely do with never having them as pets :)

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm not really sure, I've never been pinched by one. I imagine it would hurt, but not but not too bad.

16. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oy :eek: *faint* *thunk*

They're gorgeous creatures but right on up there in the hookyjig department for me!

I participated in contests in a particular class in college where we had to figure out what something was based on a couple of clues, and I won the contest in which the answer was....vinegaroon! :D So I've heard of these and researched them before. They're cool, but you can have ALL of them! :)

17. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol...hookyjig :p I think I might name one of my baby hookyjigs Hookyjig :D

18. smallgrayfox

Hookyjig is a great name for a little hookyjig :D

I had never heard that word before my sister-in-law used it about 20 years ago. I've been using it ever since. I think it's perfect to describe that shivery shuddery feeling you (well, ok, obviously not you Matt, but a lot of us), get from creepy crawlies. :D

19. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

20. smallgrayfox

That's so funny, Dominick! :D I've never tried to Google it before. Guess I wouldn't have come up with much before HC's June-July contest, would I? :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.