This Disappears When Logged In

Giant Centipedes!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Flint, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Has anyone kept these fascinating predators? I'm going to be starting a Blaptica Dubia feeder roach colony next month, to feed the 2 Yellow Ackies I'll be purchasing several more months down the road, and I know the colony will produce faster than they can eat. So I thought I'd get a voracious eating 'pede to pick up some of the slack!

I know an emperor scorpion or rose haired tarantula would be a safer choice, but I wouldn't be happy with them in the long run. I can see them at any old pet store. And I don't have the room for a bunch of inverts quite yet. So I figured I'll do my homework, and get what I really want.

So I'm just looking for any little-known tips or suggested exact species? I know they can be held, but it's a bad idea. So I'm fine with never holding it lol.

As far as enclosure, I was thinking about putting it in a storage drawer in my custom set-up. (In a glass terrarium that fits of course) If I do that, it will measure approx 20"L x 20"W x 5"H. I know they are terrestrial, and I've been told that height in an enclosure is only important to prevent escapes. I'll make sure it's completely sealed and locked. But if that's too short, I'll probably place it in a standard 10 gal.

Thanks!

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

make sure you know what species you are getting, and the toxicity of it's venom. Though few, there are some species with human deaths attributed to them.

3. Flint

Flint Elite Member

As I understand, the taxonomy is sketchy at best. But I'm thinking Peruvian Giant, or Vietnamese Giant. Mainly because they both have potential of 10"+ and are comparatively common in the pet trade.

The ladder has a 7-yo girl's death attributed to it, but most sources say that a centipede bite will result in extreme pain lasting several hours. I'm not planning on handling it whatsoever. I might get a small snake hook, or just some large paint brushes for when I need to clean the cage or transfer it to a larger cage.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

probably wise.

At the zoo, our keepers transfer venomous inverts by using a small acrylic carrier (much smaller than the cage) and lowering it into the enclosure, then herding the creature into it (using a utensil of some type) so nobody actually has to touch it. Safer for the people and the inverts that way.

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

How does the lid work?

6. jblayza

jblayza Member

Depending on the species you get, you might wanna use an enclosure with a little more height. I have kept Texas red head and Vietnamese orange legs and liked them both. It is amazing they way they hold multiple crickets at one time while devouring them one at a time. You should also throw a pinky mouse in there if you wanna see something really cool.

7. Flint

Flint Elite Member

I have decided on a species!!

Scolopendra hardwickei

http://www.martin.chaerilus.co.uk/photogallery/Originals/Misc/S.hardwickei1.JPG

Supposedly incredibly docile among Scolopendra, average length of 8", and look at the colors!!!

Problem is, I've read they are the "holy grail" for 'pede keepers. (Only getting one, might as well reach for the stars right? lol)

So does anyone have any clue on how I might get my hands on one of these beauties? Thanks!

I already know it's name: October. for Halloween, and my birthday month :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.