This Disappears When Logged In

Giant Banana Roach Info.

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by titus, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I've finally found a source of Giant Banana Roaches (Panchlora spec) and ordered about 80 of them to breed as food for the chameleons. I was wondering if anyone here has any hands on experience with this species or it's smaller relative the green banana roach. From what I've read breeding is strait forward as most roaches, though the bug barrier doesn't work against climbing for this species and they are strong fliers. Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Flying roaches? My wife would kill me!

3. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

The Green banana cockroach (Panchlora nivea) is a small species of cockroach that is found in Cuba and the Caribbean, and along the gulf coast from Florida to Texas and has been observed as far north as Charleston, South Carolina. It is also called the Cuban cockroach. It prefers subtropical or tropical climates and is currently not found beyond these areas.

The females can grow up to 24 mm and the smaller males are 12 to 15 mm long. It is winged and a strong flier. They are light green in color with a yellow line running up the sides. The adults love to climb. The nymphs are brown or black in color and are burrowers.

It is usually an outdoor species and is rarely found indoors and thus is not considered a pest. The adults can often be found in shrubbery, trees, and plants. The young can be found under logs and other debris. It is often attracted to bright lights and it is mainly a nocturnal species.

It is often a popular pet roach due to its relatively pleasant green color and the fact it is not an invasive indoor species.

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I agree, lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.