This Disappears When Logged In

Getting Out There...

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by DwarvenChef, Apr 30, 2012.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I've been fortunate most of my life when it comes to traveling around. Maybe to fortunate lol (moving with 400+ cookbooks...). I've lived in CA, TN, OH, GA, KS, AK, and driven to them all multiple times. I've been able to get out and see many of the wonderful speices this continent has to offer, and I miss getting out there and seeing them.

As one gets older and the body begins to rebell to that kind of torture, didn't seem that way at the time lol, you slow down and plan things out a bit more. Lately I have been doing all my vacations and traveling on a bicycle. What that has afforded me has been a slower mode of travel that allows me to really see whats out there. Plus bicycles are quiet and you sneak up on critters much easier lol. Many of my current outings have just been around the central CA area with in a days ride and I have come across many herp dence areas :) However getting my daughter to ride with me and take pictures has not been so easy :p

One dream of mine has been to travel to all the zones for each Sceloporus and find great pics of them in the wild. I met a man last week that has been driving all over the country documenting Gopher/Pine snakes. While I don't share his interest in such snakes I could understand his obbession as I'm very into a lizard that not many seem to care for. I envied his ability to still get out there and do it... Sort of got me wanting to just nut up and do it as well :)

I'm not sure where I was going with this post but I thought others may be in the same boat and it would be great if like minded people could find each other and be able to work together on getting out there and seeing stuff :)

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I think most of us would love to be able to do this!
    Hard to do when you have a family, job and herps at home. Wish I would have done this when I was much younger.

By the way, you're up pretty late or very early! lol

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I don't sleep well so I tend to be up rather late/early lol

Doing these things when younger is highly suggested lol it's an eye opener to get out and away and to live in so many locations to get a feel for the real world. The Army was a big help as they paid for all my moves to these places :) Not so much for my current physical condition lol Infantry has a way of beating you up daily :p I don't miss the 7 mile runs every other day lol

IMG_0026.jpg

Ah the good ol days :p this was a Harley ride from Fairbanks to Mt Mckinley while the Anchorage group rode up to Mt Mckinley was a great ride :) Lots of Woods Frogs... not much else in the herp area to see :p

Attached Files: