This Disappears When Logged In

Getting New GTP

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by Snakewomen, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

So, last year for my 12th birthday, my parents bought me a baby green tree python, it was from a breeder I don't completely trust
    (Underground reptiles), and was weirdly inexpensive. My enclosure was, in my opinion, suitable. The temps were good, humidity was good, everything seemed fine. The baby was labeled as "well started" when we bought it.
    I could not get it to eat for the first month and started getting nervous. I continues offering it food and it do malt took it after a month and a half but... It CHOKED!!! On the smallest pinky I've ever seen. I've never heard of the that happening before. So I didn't let it affect me too much but when I got my replacement, I made sure it was older. It was over a year old, no yellow left or anything. I got it from global captive breeders (which I realize now I shouldn't have done). The snake arrived, beautiful and seemingly healthy- BUT he kept making a weird noise if I touched him, he didn't have mucus coming out of his nose but I was really really worried. So I emailed global captive breeders and they kind of just said watch him and make sure the temps and humidity are correct (which I did). Within the first week, the snake died. It was quite traumatic because I was home alone and he started like yawning and going to the bottom of the cage. I frantically called my mom and he continued to frantically slither around, yawning and pooped once. I knew he was dying and there was nothing I could do about it. So I sat there for 10 minutes crying to my mother telling her he was dying in front of me until he passed away. Horrible experience....
    Then we emailed global captive breeders again and they said they would replace him for free as long as we pay for shipping. So we emailed and said that would be great and tried to arrange a shipping date for three months straight. They never emailed us back and I saw on the news that global captive breeders had been shut down for selling and neglecting animals which explains why we couldn't get a hold of them through email. My mother said that it wasn't my fault the snake died because it was already sick when we got it. But I feel like the worst owner on the face of the planet- I killed 2 snakes is all ice been saying for the past 9 months.
    I'm TERRIFIED to get another green tree python. I also recently invested in a nice PVC cage and nice thermostat. So my setup is ideal, but I'm still afraid I am going to do something wrong. But a really reputable breeder has some older snakes for sale that they no longer need for breeding, that are a little more affordable than others (which is good since I have already invested along in the other snakes, caging, etc.). Do you think that I should get another green tree python? Do you have any tips for keeping them? I'm just so afraid I'm a bad owner I have been avoiding getting another snake.

Sorry for the terribly long post :(

2. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

My first Green Tree Python was 'farmed' (I didn't know at the time) but he was eating good but something wasn't right, Long story short he passes away. I only deal with one breeder and there another I trust and JoeyG knows some good ones too. Before you get another do a little more research and make sure you have everything on hand for the enclosure. Set up the enclosure has a few days before the snake arrives so that you adjust temp and humidity. If you have any questions please ask them and they will get answered

Can you go onto "My enclosure was, in my opinion, suitable. The temps were good, humidity was good, everything seemed fine"? What was the temp, humidity and how were they measured (digital, etc)? How big is your enclose? Can you post a picture of it?

3. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

My old enclosure had a warm size of 88 degrees and a cool side of 82 degrees and it stayed very consistent. The humidity was 80% with a drying out period to 60% every day for the baby- and 70% with a drying out period ever day for the adult. (For the adult I misted once a day which made it 70% then just let it dry until the next day). All the temps and humidity was measured by digital thermometer/hyrgrometers. My new cage is 32inX24X24 with a radiant heat panel as the heat source controlled by a herpistat 1 thermostat. image.jpg image.jpg

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Normally I would never recommend a green tree python for a 12 year old, but it looks like you've actually done quite a bit of research on their husbandry so I commend you for that. The enclosure looks good, but I would try adding some leaves and such in the middle areas where it's more open to make the snake feel more secure (will help with eating). With the temps and humidity being maintained as you mention, you should do fine with a healthy chondro.

Edit: If possible, move the heat panel to one side of the enclosure rather than in the middle. This will create a better heat gradient where the snake can choose one side to warm up, or the other side to cool off as necessary. Actually it's hard to tell, but you may have it that way already. If that's the case then... my bad lol.

5. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Thank you for the advice :) yes I have done extensive research. The heat panel is actually on the right side of the cage which you can't really see in the photo. I will also add some leaves in the middle of the pearches.

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

You were off on your set up, temps are too high and humidity too low. For a neonate don't drop below 80% humidity. When the day starts your humidity should be near 100% and then it can drop from there. Did you ever spray your animals directly? Chondros unlike other snakes don't need high temps. Mid 80s is good, neonates I take up to 85 and adults to 86 and night drops for neos to 80 and adults to 79. Your digital thermometer reads the air. Using a temp gun you'll see those temps are higher then that using a heat panel. You want real Chondro advice and info check out MVF forum and read everything you can. Please ask a thousand questions, not a bother at all, better to know now. The cage looks good that you have now but IMO it could use more cover

7. JoeyG

Is this your first snake your looking to get into? (meaning chondros your first)

8. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

I am planning to buy a temp gun before I get another chondro for sure- and no, I have had/have corn snakes milk snakes and a Brazilian rainbow boa.

9. JoeyG

Just want to make it clear I'm not picking on you, I really do want to help. Bring your temps down a little though. Where are you looking to get your next one and what are you looking for? Get a captive bred one and you can't go wrong. I know a few breeders that can give you an awesome animal and all the follow up support you could need. PM if you want for more info and if interested I can send links once I know what you're looking for

10. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Thank you :) I really do appreciate the help- I will bring my temps down a bit like you said- I'm thinking I'm going to get one from Signal Herpeculture. I really like the looks of them and I know all of the their animals are captive bred :)

11. JoeyG

Signal herp is a good place. The owner is a heck of a good guy and one of the main guys that started breeding chondros. I would still suggest joining MVF for the advice and knowledge, Signal herp is there too. Lots of the main chondro breeders and it also has it's own classified section. Forum members are only ones I buy from now and I've never had any issues. Stay in touch and I can try to help you get the set up going before you get the animal

12. Snakewomen

Snakewomen Active Member

Ok I will join that forum and keep in touch :) thanks for all the help!