This Disappears When Logged In

Getting New Camera....

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by DwarvenChef, Jan 11, 2014.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Cutting the middle man (daughter) out so I can take the pics I want when I want...

I'd love some feedback on what to be looking for in a Digital SLR.

I've been using Cannon all my life so I will be sticking with Cannon on this one as well.

What I need is budget minded Frames and lens recommendations. Lens I'm looking for is more "close up" to portrait capable than anything else. But a zoom that can get a blue belly in full screen at 50feet would be cool as well. I take more close ups than anything else and the ability to clear good depth close ups of lizard heads and the like is my primary interest.

Anyone one out there up on these kinds of items? My budget is no more that $1000 for both pieces combined.

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Was at the local camera shop fondling the different bits :p

Seems my tastes and large hands keep me away from the affordable stuff... The Cannon 60D slr fit my hands rather nicely and all the buttons where easy to navigate, but oh the price... And I am HOOKED on the 180mm Macro lens like never before... ouch...

Now into research mode...

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well the Canon Rebels are decent and affordable cameras. With the right lens you would be able to get good close up photos.
    I personally have the Cannon 10D SLR (love it but kinda outdated now) and am trying to find cheap Macro lenses (good luck on this) However with the standard lens I have on it and a 10x fish eye I can get some decent closeups. You could try using the magnification filters until you have enough to get the Macro lens as well.
    My sister has the Rebel Ti and its a slightly smaller camera (may be detrimental with your hands but still doable) then mine and takes good quality photos and was way cheaper to purchase then my camera was. And the newer rebels take video as well which is kinda cool.

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I was looking at their selection of used (guaranteed) lenses and was playing with the 180 macro (under $600, still to much for me) but didn't have time to test the filter magnifiers. Like I said the 180mm macro kind of hooked me and I wasted all my time with it... Still trying to figure out how to afford it...

My daughter has the T2i rebal andit is a bit small and hard to shoot with, the T5i is pretty close but the 60D was wonderful... I hate my tastes sometimes...

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

The way I figure it though, I still have my AE1 program from 30+ years ago so if I get the right camera now I will never have to replace it short of killing it. So the extra money will be acceptable to a point. I'm getting away from disposable thinking and buying only quality items built to last. Keeps me from hoarding a bunch of useless crap also :p I am a bit of a pack rat :p

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

well the 60d alone is $1K so You could get that and the filters for another 25-50$ and wait until you can buy your 180mm lens for another $1K...I have been thinking of getting the 100mm macro lens its only about $500...

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

ps. even if you get the 60D now eventually you are going to want a newer camera. My 10D at the time I got it was a really good professional grade camera but now the cheaper Rebels have ahigher MP ratio then my 10D. I think my iphone has the same Mp ratio as my canon...Its time to upgrade to something better-after I win the lottery of course.

8. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Ya that is a problem with the new "digital age", it's built on a disposable platform. Upgrading to newer system that make (by design) previously made items obsolete. I wish I could afford film and keep with it but I know it's just a matter of time before all the current machines at speedy developer places will break down and not be replaced. Dark rooms by hand will be around for a while though but they are not cheap.

60D's are down to $600 in most stores and catologs, the lens I was looking at was under $600 so with watchfull shopping I should be able to keep the numbers down. Next is to get some items I don't use anylonger appraised and see if I can come up with the funds :p

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I picked up some 400iso for my 35mm and I'm trying to get some pics of my guys. I use a Cannon AE1 program with a 55mm lens and a 2x teleconverter. It gets me pretty close but not quite where I want to be. I'm playing with settings while Bluegenes poses for me on the log, when Lara lets him stay on the log LOL.

We shall see how they come out.

10. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Cannon 60D with 180mm macro is now home and the battery is charging :)

Just a little giddy :p

11. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

IMG_0009_zps26e4cdd4.jpg

He has been rather un cooperative tonight :p see what tomorrow brings :p

12. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

IMG_0042_zps8aed709d.jpg
    IMG_0053_zps74ea7832.jpg

Little guy living in the wood pile outside today. Young male Sceloporus occedentalis around noon, got to hot to keep standing there so I ran inside.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh wow! I am jealous right now!

14. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

The more I dig into my pictures and applying stuff I learn in class I'm finding I really want to get into Herp Photography all around. While I see some pictures in the wild and some from the industry that really show a few highly popular species, not much is shot of the others. I'm also looking at lighting in tanks from another point of view. I'll be testing some directional clamp lights to help move light around to get away from so many back lit photos... or carry some white cards to bounce light around...

Also researching wildlife sites to see what lenses are being used to get the kind of detail I need for my little lizards :p .... I need a rick unknown relative to leave me everything so I can afford that next lens :p Looking at a fixed 400 and fixed 600 :p only a few K each.../cry...

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just go out back to your money tree and grab a handful of the leaves! LOL!