This Disappears When Logged In

Getting a stool sample

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Jem_Scout, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

How do I get a stool sample from a snake that only poops in the water bowl!?
    Jem (the bigger of the two corns) pooped twice but in the water bowl. Can I bring that into the vet for an accurate test?
    I'm still waiting for the other corn and the new RTB to poop...why can't they all poop on the same day!? :p Don't they know it's a 45 min drive to the vet just to haul poop? LOL

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

You'll probably never get them to "donate a sample" on the same day or in the perfect place. Monty put his in the waterbowl too. I just scooped it out and put it in the little containers I got from the vet. They didn't have any problems analyzing it. (They found tapeworms.)
    When Talyn finally gave me a sample it was on the weekend and I had to go in with Monty on Monday. They just told me to refridgerate it (I know :eek: ) until Monday.

The important thing is that you carefully label each sample so you know who it came from in case treatment is needed.

3. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I KNOW the won't all poop on the same day! LOL
    Life with snakes couldn't be THAT easy!! :p
    I'll scoop it out of the water bowl and take it in this afternoon....
    It'll be a drive by poop drop! lol

4. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Iv'e got 4 samples to collect, should be fun :p

5. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Good Luck Donna! :p
    When one of yours poop just hope that one of mine did too! LOL

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Now, are we the only ones who have snakes that poop all at the same time?? - it's not helpful, it's irritating!! And usually just after we have cleaned them, and when we get back late from being out somewhere.. I think our snakes have a plan and get together when we're not in the room!! :p

Good luck with your stool samples.. if you are stuck you can keep it in the fridge in a container, but fresh is better, and there's no problem with it having been in water, just makes it a bit more messy for you! :D

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What a lovely mental image! :eek:
    I think Rachel is onto something there. Just clean the cage and be waiting! It seems to work that way with our colubrids too!

Thankfully boids don't go as often as corns!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.