This Disappears When Logged In

Getting a Sand Boa!

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by aquarles, Mar 4, 2011.

1. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I have finally found a good breeder to get a sand boa from! I'm sure you all are very familiar with him, Mark Huntley! I'm getting a male juvenile anery sand boa. I already have his tank set up with everything he needs :) I just have to order the thermometer and buy a under tank heat pad and i'll be good to go.

The only problem is that the particular sand boa that i'm looking to buy is eating only live pinkies. I will try my hardest to convert him to f/t. I asked Mark if he has a similar sand boa to the one i'm looking at that eats f/t so wish me luck! Hopefully getting this little guy next week sometime.

***Also for those of you who know Moscato I switched her to a 100 watt red bulb since she doesn't like bright light, I also got one for my new sand boa, sound good?

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

It shouldn't be a problem converting your little one over to frozen/thawed anything. All three of my snakes started out on live pinkies and fuzzies and switched over without any problems. Even if your little guy doesn't go for it right away, I'm sure being persistent will pay off. There are members on here who have had to work for long periods of time to convert them over but it usually worked out. :)

3. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats.......and just curious, are the Anery's the "black and white" ones??? If so, those are my daughters favorite ones...(we were looking for smaller snakes and the rosy boa and Sand boa were first choices for us...My daughter fell in love with the black and white sand boas, and I fell in love with the albino rosys.) Would love to see some pictures when you get yours

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Mark and Jennifer Huntley from Sand Boa Morphs, they sound like they are very popular and have heard great things about them. I actually joined their Facebook site.

Congratulations, I'm so so jealous, I'm really interested in the black and whites also. I'm so excited for you, and can't wait for pictures.
    When do you get him? Pictures is all I can say, lots of them!
    Now I'm gonna have to come and visit you, just so I can meet him, don't worry I won't take him back to Canada with me, Promise. >:)

5. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Yay! I wish you could visit!

Yes they are! They are my favorites!

I have been researching many ways on how to get a snake to take f/t so I feel pretty confident that he will eventually take f/t ;)

-I get him next week on the 11th. That's when I get my money back from school :) I thought that I was going to be able to order him tonight but we don't want to be tight with money! lol

6. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

There happens to be a juvenile sand boa at an exotic reptile store near us. However, he/she is very aggressive because i'm sure no one takes it out to hold and he/she more than likely gets fed in its enclosure and not in a separate tank. I have been thinking about getting this little one and trying to tame it myself. I have the time to work with him/her and the patience.

I know that buying from Mark Huntley would be the easier way to go, but I just keep thinking about this little one and just wanted to get everyone's opinion about which way I should go with this. Thanks so much!

7. DarkMagician207

I think you should go with what you feel more comfortable handling. It sounds like you've obviously done research to find yourself a good breeder. At least you know that little one's history. From experience working at a pet store for 6 years, not all employees (or managers for that matter) know or care about the history of the the reptiles that come into their store, nor do they know the health of the animal all the time unless they've been seen by a qualified vet. It's also very difficult to take out each snake and feed them in separate bins due to lack of space in the back rooms, at least it was for us. If he/she is aggressive now for some reason and just incase in the event that you can't tame it down, are you prepared for taking care of one you may never be able to hold or interact with? It may not be a problem with this species, but not all snakes tame down.

Of course definitely either one you pick, quarantine from the baby you already have. :)

8. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I agree with you DarkMagician. I will be better off buying from a breeder where I can still go to them and ask questions. The snake at the petstore probably has no history whatsoever. This is the same place I got my snow corn snake and I didn't much, if any, history on it, but she's a sweetheart. I will stick with breeders from now on.

9. DarkMagician207

It's good to have a place where you can ask all the questions you need on your new little baby.

Good luck. :)

10. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

Yes, that does help! :) I cannot wait to order him next week!

11. DarkMagician207

Looking forward to the pics :)

12. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I'm looking forward to seeing him myself, and for everyone else to also :)