This Disappears When Logged In

Getting A New Sand Boa, A Quick Question About Thermostats.

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Macaw Mike, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Macaw Mike

Macaw Mike Member

I've already gotten the knowledge on how to care for sand boas (I'm getting a Kenyan sand boa), but I've got just one concern: How would one hook up a thermostat for a heat pad setup? I'm going to be using a ten-gallon (I'm going to be purchasing a male snake), and sand will be his substrate (play sand, and he'll be safely fed carefully).

I'd like to receive this information as soon as possible, and that would be great. Many thanks.

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

A rheostat should be fine for a heat mat, just set it up and check the temp. There are also some heat mats that only go to a certain temp, I have some ultratherms that do 85 but no higher. No worries about overheating, and though they're not as cheap as the zoo med stick-on types they're made better.

Macaw Mike likes this.
  3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I've always glued a ceramic tile over the heating pad to evenly distribute heat. Every heating I've had always had a hot spot somewhere on it... The ceramic tile helps move that around.

Macaw Mike likes this.
  4. Macaw Mike

Macaw Mike Member

What I figured. Thanks for the tips :)

In reality, I actually have a sand boa (a sweet male), I was just worried lately about his heat pad (it doesn't have a thermostat), and the reason why I mentioned earlier was because I feared being yelled at or perhaps even condemned. His heat pad I'm guessing has a limit, because it hasn't gotten too overly hot or too underly cold.

Thanks a ton. This forum is full of wonderful people, I'll be staying around in the future. Sorry for the fib :)

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Understandable, we may not be as big as other sites but we also don't put up with bashing, we are here to help :)

Heck I've been into Herps since the 1970's and I still learn something new here :) (and if they would stop changing scientific names on me... ARRGGHH!!!)

Macaw Mike likes this.
  6. Macaw Mike

Macaw Mike Member

Omg, I totally agree with you on changing scientific names. Some I'd see why, but some changes, they don't even make sense. XD

I should perhaps make a new topic on that subject :p