This Disappears When Logged In

Getting A New Ball

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Rhapsody765, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Rhapsody765

Rhapsody765 New Member

OK, I'm getting a 1ft Fire Ball Python on Friday, unsure of sex, will be taking the little one to the vet for a check up not long after getting it, but my question here is, after I quarantine it for a couple of months, will it be ok to put it in with my 2ft Mojave Ball Python?
    I have read many MANY threads from people saying to NOT put BP'S together, but I've also seen a lot of threads saying its fine.
    I already don't feed my current one in his tank, so I would obviously be feeding them separately. I have a set up for the new one already, but it would be space convenient to not have two set ups for them.
    Please don't just reply about how its a bad thing to do, for this or that reason. I have read all kinds of stuff why its bad. I've also ready stuff about it being good as long as it is done right. I would NEVER jeopardize a snakes life in such a way as to not handle this correctly.
    Side note: if they are opposing sex, then I do plan to breed them when the time is right.
    Do you have snakes housed together? If so, how is it going? What kind of problems have you had, if any?

2. Upstander

Upstander Member

Based on the fact that they are not a social species, I would opt for no. Even if you can't see overt aggression (e.g. striking and biting at each other), one could be stressed enough to not want to eat (even if you are doing separate feedings) or may be hesitant to get a good basking spot for warmth. Maybe if you had a large enough enclosure for multiple heat sources (while still maintaining temperature gradients) and hide spots.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not sure where your getting that info, but I have never seen a valid reason for keeping ball pythons together outside of breeding purposes, and I can give you a whole list of reasons why not to. As was mentioned, they are not social at all, and there will be stress from competing for space. Plus, what will you do if one gets sick later on? Both will undoubtedly end up sick, so you just doubled your vet bills, which will likely be more than the cost of a good second setup. All the reasons I've ever heard for keeping them together bills down to the convenience of the keep, and that just doesn't justify it to me. If you want to keep more than one, and don't have the space for multiple tank setups, then go with tubs and build yourself a rack, or even buy one. I have 40 ball pythons at the moment, plus 18 snakes of various species, and none of them ever get put together for anything but breeding. Balls can be finicky critters at the best of times, no point adding to my problems.