This Disappears When Logged In

Getting a Kenyan Sand Boa, Have Some Questions

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by MudgeyWudge, Jan 5, 2012.

1. MudgeyWudge

MudgeyWudge Member

I'd like to order online from a breeder, and I'd like to know which breeders are recommended. Secondly, I'd like to know what kind of questions I should ask a breeder. Any suggestions? I just want to make sure my new snake is healthy and coming from a responsible breeder :)

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. MudgeyWudge

MudgeyWudge Member

They have some gorgeous snakes :D Are there any questions I should ask them before deciding which one I want?

4. jjmarch101

jjmarch101 Member

I haven't had any experience with sand boas in particular, but when I'm getting a new pet, I generally want to know what the breeder/ pet shop has been feeding its animals, how they have been kept (meaning habitat, terrarium temps, ect.), and generally how the animal has been raised (by the book or 'just wingin' it?'). Lastly, I like to check if the breeder him/herself is knowledgeable in her/ his field. I hope this helps!

5. MudgeyWudge

MudgeyWudge Member

That does help :) I've never bought from a breeder before, all my reptiles have been "second hand", I guess you could say.

They have photos of their enclosures on their site as well as a detailed caresheet with info on how they house their snakes. They also have a note that all snakes are eating unless otherwise noted. I'm pretty sure it said on the site that they feed live mice, which I've understood to be dangerous for a snake, but I'll see what they say. I sent an email asking about that and if they keep documentation on feedings and overall growth and if they included that in the order. I'll post what the reply is when I get it :)

6. mld

They also have a facebook page where you can ask question to other owners!

7. MudgeyWudge

MudgeyWudge Member

I got an email back from him. He told me that a hatchling I'd inquired about is eating f/t fuzzies, but he didn't really answer my other questions :/ Think I should order from him anyway?

8. MudgeyWudge

MudgeyWudge Member

I'm thinking I probably will order from them, just as soon as the stuff I ordered comes in the mail :) I'm so excited! :D

9. mld

I would love to have one, I know several people who own them and are going to start breeding them in my area. Maybe one day I'll have one.

10. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I've spoken with the breeder linked above at the past 2 expos I have been to. Very nice, knowledgeable and seems to have the best interest of the snakes as his primary goal....(I say this, because at the first expo, it caught my attention when I heard him suggest to a potential buyer that they might want to rethink their choice to purchase one, when the potential buyer seemed a bit clueless as to some basic care...I've seen all too often some "sellers/breeders" whose only thought is to SELL, SELL, and SELL, regardless to whether the one purchasing it can take proper care of it....This breeder WASN'T like that, and definitely seemed to care about his animals....when the time comes for me to purchase one..(and I KNOW the time will come eventually, considering at least once a month my daughter BEGS me to get her an Anery sand boa..lol)..When the time comes, I will definitely keep this breeder in mind.

11. MudgeyWudge

MudgeyWudge Member

I'll have to keep him in mind. Turns out there's a herpetologist in my area that breeds them, too. I visited him today and took a look at his snakes, and his husbandry was perfect. I'll be getting one from him since that means I won't have to have my snake shipped :)

But I have a question, I'm trying to set up my tank before i get the snake, and when I put both a UTH and a heat lamp, the temps get too high on the floor of the hot side. Is just using a UTH going to be okay, or is a light needed for the ambient air temp to be warm, too?

12. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Reptiles magazine just printed an article about Sand boas. You should check it out, it's really informative.