This Disappears When Logged In

Getting a Granite Burm, Just a Question?

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by andys3ballpythons, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are correct in that we do know nothing about you except that you asked a question that is one of the most basic items and easiest things to find out. Any caresheet is going to have it.

Far too many people get these animals, thinking that because they have cared for a smaller species that it prepares them to deal with a giant snake. Nothing could be farther from the truth. They, in all honesty, have absolutely no business with them.
    When they find that they have gotten in over their heads then they stand around crying, wanting someone else to come along and bail them out of their predicament.

And with a giant python, thats not an easy thing to find.

Experienced keepers try to talk people out of getting these animals and with good reason. We have seen over and over what happens. This is an animal that is quite capable of killing you and it doesn't even have to be being aggressive to do it. A couple of coils around your throat, the snake feels insecure and tightens its hold to steady itself and YOU ARE TOAST!
    Next thing you know YOU are on TV as the latest victim of a "killer python" and there goes more ammunition into the guns of the crowd that is trying their darndest to strip us of the rights to possess these types of animal.

We don't want you or your family hurt or killed and we certainly don't want you to be added to the bad press we are already getting bombarded with.
    If the members here didn't actually care about you we would just tell you to go ahead and stick your head in the lions jaws and see what happens.

2. Rob

Rob Elite Member

Many people think they are ready and they are not. My friend has a burm thats 16ft that i help feed and care for. He has had here for 7 years she use to be a great pet till one day she just change now she will bite you any chance she gets. She is a handful even with 4 or 5 people. Would you be ready for that?

3. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I guess the thing is, online we can't assume 'innocent until proven guilty' (Or 'knowledgeable until proven inexperienced')... If everyone assumed everyone going to buy a burmese python knew what they were doing...well, yikes.

I can understand why you would come to a forum instead of a caresheet, sometimes it is easier to comprehend the reasons when heard from someone rather than spit into caresheet format, and those can be wrong, but it's just...Until shown that you know what you're doing, we can't sit here and feel 100% safe about this decision.. If you were to get hurt and we could have prevented it, that sucks. Or if you were unprepared and the animal died/had to be put back in that petstore again.. Also sucks! :( NOT FUN

They can be wonderful snakes for people who own them going into it fully prepared... But they grow so fast, if you got one unprepared.. That could get real ugly real fast!

It's just a dangerous snake.. So we respond with a word of caution!

4. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

thanks for caring and i understand that aspect of it, been told the same thing about owning pit bulls and every other pet that seems to get a bad wrap, im not pointing fingers or saying names but usually people on her are very helpfull and this time it just seems like it was getting out of hand, i will now refuse to ask for advise or help on here, i will find my info elsewhere to avoid being treated like im ignorant and stupid, but honestly a thank you to the people that actually helped and answered my question.

5. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Purplemuffin, well put.

Andy - unfortunately that is the one downside to this forum, is that people are a little too blunt sometimes. They mean the best though and really are good information sources. They see a lot of "experts" who end up being novices and get stuck in a sticky situation. I sometimes disagree with people's approach to wording replies around here, but everyone really does have the best of intentions for you are your animals. I hope that you can understand that and stick around as this is a really great forum. :) Good luck with the burm! :)

6. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

Andys3ballpythons completely agree this was a simple question that just got out of hand am turned into the basically attack on more than one member by more than one member. I joined this site cause it's is a very good resource an there was no childish behavior. Bit I guess that can be ruined by some

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It should not be considered an attack. It's NOT PERSONAL!
    Just people who know, giving the straight skinny to someone who is contemplating getting one of these snakes. The intent is to keep someone from getting into something that they may really not be ready for.
    Yes, we COULD sugar coat it and tell him that its the same as keeping a ball python. However the truth of the matter is that keeping a ball python in no way prepares you for what you will be dealing with with a giant. The worst a BP could do is a little bite, that is of no consequence. A large burmese can put you in the hospital or worse.
    The best way to prepare is to find someone, a keeper, a rescue, or a pet shop that actually has a large one and spend some time working with them to get the ins and outs of what is proper protocol. See what its like to feed one and the size and amount of food required. Then see what comes out the other end!
    THEN you will be able to make an informed decision as to whether you are up to it.
    After experiencing the reality of it, most decide that it really is more than what they thought it would be.

All we are doing is trying to enable the making of an informed decision.

8. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i do apprechiate people caring, i understand why, but it did seem to feel like an attack. i will stay with this fourum, but will not ask questions any more, instead i will call up my wifes boss who has been a veteranary doctor for over 20 years and just get my answers that way, i will post pics for sure, and i agree with vega, i joined because it seemed like a good place to go if i had a brain fart and wanted a quick answer, i have enjoyed this site big time, just dont want the attacks, when me and my wife (whom has been in the vet world since she was 16) both have a brain fart its just an easy way to get a little help at 2 a.m. instead of reading care sheets that say a million different ways to do the same thing, ive read care sheets that say temps can be anywhere from 70 to 110, so instead i try to ask people that may have been in my position before, and like a job, to get true experience, you gotta try life sometimes

i just wanted to share why exactly i am getting this burm, the bpet shop owner where im at is a close friend and tattoo client of mine, the way that she stated it directly to me is " i would rather you have her over anyone in this town because its not an ego trip for you to have a giant, i believe that she will recieve the best care with you because you are not afraid to ask the simple questions." like i was trying to explain im not exactly inexperianced, just wasnt sure and had a bit of a brainfart. thank you all for your replys and no hard feelings to anyone, just please understand if i ask, its because i dont trust half of the care sheets i read and want first hand responses.

9. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

Apparently your ego has something to do with this because you are just packing it in when a little criticism comes your way. Do you think I am just trying to make your life difficult? Believe it or not, the answer is NO! I don't find it necessary to waste my time belittling people that I will never meet. I do however find the time to try and talk 99% of the people wanting a giant out of it. I have 14 giant snakes, retics and burms, and do you want to know how many of them I have bought? One. Want to take a wild guess as to where the rest of them came from? These animals are not suitable for captivity in any way. They eat to much, poop to much, can kill without trying, take up to much space, and people that shouldn't have them are the most attracted to them. Don't get me wrong, I love my snakes, but given the opportunity I would take them to their native land and let them live the life that they were designed to live. Your friend at the pet shop got it wrong, because at some level your ego is very involved. If it wasn't, you would not have thrown a temper tantrum of sorts and stomped off because you didn't hear what you wanted to hear. I learned a long time ago that I can't save all of the animals in the world, but that I can educate the masses as to what these animals are all about. A lot of people hear me out and though I may be blunt, they take it like an adult and listen to a voice of reason. I will inevitably come across people like yourself though. Again, I have accepted that but I will not stop saying what I say just to save the feelings of a few as long as the animals life is involved. Go on and pout and try to hurt my/our feelings because you won't ask us for advice anymore. That just shows that you never were open to anything but your own opinion anyways. Any responsible keeper that has a right to tell you facts about these animals will say exactly what you heard here.

10. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

people here aren't trying to be mean. they are just trying to explain the seriousness of a large snake. if you think they are going overboard, then (in my opinion) you might not be realizing just how serious a large snake must be taken.

i've never owned a pitbull, but i have known plenty of people who did. dogs behave how they are trained and pitbulls have a bad rep due to bad owners. its not like that with large snakes. pit bulls and other dogs have been around for thousands of years to obtain the level of domestication they have today. snakes have not. snakes are still wild animals that only get used to us and tolerate us.

we have a 12ft burm. his cage will not be opened unless both of us are home at the time. he's normally a very docile snake but i don't doubt that he could kill me and i'm far from being a scrawny guy. there isn't the slightest bit of doubt in my mind that if he was to bite and coil around my neck while i was alone, i would be dead.

he HAS bitten and coiled me twice. once on the wrist, once on the hand. its not an easy task to get a mouth full of 1/4" needle-like teeth open when it thinks it has food. you can't just pull him off as those teeth would do serious damage to you. you have to unwrap him and get him to open his mouth. an impossible task with just one free hand since he wont want to let go of his meal. both times it took 5-10 mins to get him off. both times i ended up with soreness and bruising. especially the wrist one since skin isn't thick there. besides the 2 rings of punctures, i had a bruising and my wrist was stiff and sore for 2 days, both where he bit and where he was coiled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.