This Disappears When Logged In

Getting a Cornsnake!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Vitina, May 29, 2011.

1. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

So I plan on getting a corn snake in the end of July and I have a few questions!

1- What would be the best heat source?
    2- If i feed it f/t mice, do they come in different sizes? Because I know your suppose to increase the size as the snake grows
    3- Is aspen a good bedding?
    4- Would a local reptile expo have corn snakes for sale (i would imagine they would...)
    5- Do they always need a moist hide? Or just for shedding? And how often do they shed?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Here is the sites caresheet on them!

Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus) Caresheet

3. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

Thank you :)

4. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

But When you clean the cage do you actually was any rocks/sticks with soap and water? Or just change the bedding? And would you actually wash the whole tank with soap and water?

5. mld

Daily cleaning or spot cleaning would be taking away any poop, cleaning he water dish and replacing with fresh water.

A more detailed cleaning should be done also, then you can take everything out and wash and disinfect everything! This will require you to move the snake to a bin with a tight fitting lid while doing this.

6. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

+1 :D

These snakes are awesome and very easy to care for !!

7. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I have 8 corns and they are great.

8. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

8? Wow! That's so cool! Any morph you would suggest getting? I'm planning to breed in the future with my friend who is getting one soon

9. mld

They are all so gorgeous even the normals!

10. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

Okay one last question! What would be the best heater? Like brand wise. (a link would help if you have it)

11. mld

Under the tank heaters, be they should be plugged into a thermostat to regulate the temperature so it doesn't get too hot, since they need belly heat.
    Exo terra brand makes a good pad, size would depend on the size of the enclosure!
    Are you going with a 20 gal long or a 30 gal long?

12. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

20 gallon long, unless I get a baby... Then 10 gallon then move into a 20 gallon.

13. mld

For a 20 gal long I would get the Medium size exo terra Under tank heater
    Exo Terra : Heat Wave Rainforest / Terrarium Substrate Heater

And for the Thermostat I use the zilla repti temp 500r
    Reptile Supply -> Heating -> Heat Control -> ReptiTemp 500R

You have to use these both together! The UTH will plug into the Thermostat and then you can dial the temperature that is needed for the basking spot.

Also a digital Thermometer/Hygrometer with a probe it also important to have! This will measure temperatures and humidity all in one unit. There are other types out there, but just make sure that it is digital with a probe!
    Hagen Exo Terra Thermo-Hygrometer

Also don't forget water bowl and hides, you will need a hot hide, a cool hide and a moist hide for shedding!
    They need light during the day and dark at night!

14. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

Okay! That all sounds do-able! Would the outdoor light be enough for the night/ day cycle?

15. mld

If your room get lots of natural light through the windows that should be fine! Some people use low watt bulb if the room isn't bright enough, you basically want them to have a 12 hrs of light and 12 hrs of dark.

16. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

Alright! Thank you! Now just to convince my mom! She'll eventually give in... She owes me a reptile anyway, she said she would be play with one but I needed to do some research first! (which i hav)

17. mld

Great to do the research first and then show her that you are serious and know how to care for one. Read, keep coming on the site to gain more knowledge and information.

And always make sure that the enclosure is set up and running efficiently hitting the proper temperatures for a week prior to purchasing a reptile!

You can also copy that care sheet and read through it, knowledge is key!

18. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Without knowing what your friend is going to get, it's hard to suggest anything. Here is a really good site I recommend, The Corn Calculator - Corn snake genetics prediction It tells you what you will get by breeding different morphs together.

19. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

I have been playing around with the corn calculator! Hehe! I think I basically understand their genetics. And my friend wants to get a snow I think

20. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

If you want to make snows, you will need to get another snow. Breeding any other type of albino will usually result in normal abinos. So, unless you want snows, you can get just about any other albino you want. Also, breeding a anery to a snow will give you more anerys and breeding a normal to a snow will give normals.