This Disappears When Logged In

General Advice- Anything is Appreciated.

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by MyImmortalWolf, Sep 20, 2014.

1. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

I'm redoing my room and I'd like to include some more space for reptiles- Right now I just have a bearded dragon, but I really want a leopard gecko and a snake, and knowing how I am, I'm probably going to end up acquiring several other scaly and/or furry things over the next year.

I'm just going to do a question dump here, though I know they probably won't all get answered.

1. Which is better/more space efficient? And industrial metal shelving unit that can hold several different sizes of tanks or stackable breeder tanks?
    2. What are the pros and cons of tile, reptile carpet, and paper towels?
    3. Tropical species- how do you manage to keep the moisture at a suitable level?
    4. When do you need heavy-duty tank lid locks/clips?
    5. Which design is better- opens from the front or screen lid?
    6. What are some safe materials to make enclosure accessories out of?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Add on: I'd also like to start breeding Dubia roaches, and I currently have a 40-gallon Nat. Geo. tank for Thorn, a 20-gallon that I keep superworms in, and a 10-gallon that's empty.

2. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

Most of these are very species specific. First you should research what reptiles you want.

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Yeah don't jump on it, do what you need to do, get the habitats set up appropriately and then leave them run for a few weeks to work out the kinks in them and then do all of your research and to save you money work on getting roach, or mouse colonies started if you wish..... Just make sure you are able to care for them properly......

4. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Well for a snake, it all depends on which KIND of snake you're getting. So I can give you the only advice I know from owning a Cali King.
    2. Having tile\paper towels, I have no idea. But for kingsnakes\cornsnakes, you generally want Aspen shavings. For kings, since they LOVE to burrow, shavings are the best.
    3. People usually like wrapping their cages in saran wrap to help keep in the moisture, or having a type of fogging machine to keep the moisture going.
    4. I would always suggest heavy duty type cages. Most reptiles are escape artists and will find any way they can to find a way out. Nothing TOO hefty, but a lid that can lock on tightly without having it pop off easily.
    5. I would say depending on the type of reptile or size it can grow, will depend on how the cage opens. For smaller breeds of snakes like kings, something that can open from the top is perfectly fine. Having a boa or python that can grow pretty huge, you're most likely looking into building your own cage that can open from the front side.

Like the two people said above, I cannot stress enough, PLEASE do research about the reptile before you buy first. I can help answer more questions if you had an idea of what type of reptile you're actually wanting to buy. Other than that, it's hit or miss with the questions because all reptiles are pretty much really different when it comes to housing.

5. MyImmortalWolf

I have already done my Leopard Gecko research. And I'd like either a corn/king snake or a ball python.

I won't get an animal until I know what it takes to care for it. Personal policy.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I always prefer to make my own enclosures. Find the space where you want to put it and design to fit.
    If you go the stackable way 3/4 plywood works great. It's quite light compared to other materials and is very strong.
    You could also build a shelving unit out of it and then use glass tanks, building the space between to suit your sizes.

Lockable lids in my opinion are necessary whenever you have snakes. They can force open lids even with bricks laid on top.
    Front or top opening lids are also species specific. For example anything with higher humidity requirements and you want to stay away from screen tops.

7. MyImmortalWolf

One more question- for those of you that use the higher-wattage Mercury Vapor bulbs, how do you hang them? And if you have a screen top enclosure, how far away from the mesh does the bulb need to be? I've heard good things about them, so I'm trying one for my bearded dragon. I got a 125 watt for a 45 gallon terrarium.