This Disappears When Logged In

Geckos in Need :(

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Flint, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

I've got a friend at work, she has 2 leos that were her older sisters. When the sister moved out, she left the geckos to the family (who didn't really want them). So now my work friend is trying to get rid of them, because they simply don't have time for them. So I told her if she couldn't find them a good home, I would take them and find them a home myself. I don't want to keep them, I'm holding out for an ackie myself, but I don't really want to leave them in her care.

They've been on calcium sand for the ~3 years they've been in the family's care, eating nothing but meal worms and the family has never even heard of supplements. They will be free, with two 10 gal tanks (the geckos are 2 adult males) and lights I believe.

I instructed her as much as I could about the cal sand and supplements, and getting digital thermometers, and taking them to the vet! (they've never been :() They look healthy enough in the pics, but I'm no expert. I just know that they need better than what they have. Hopefully she put them on newspaper like I asked, and printed out the care sheet on this site. Haven't heard from her since I told her all that.

So my main question is, if I do take them in, where might I be able to take them? I have no problem looking after them till I find a home, I need to get used to cricket dusting and such for when I get an ackie. I will certainly take them to the vet for a check up, but I don't want to spend a terrible amount of money on shipping them anywhere. Anyone in Southern California that would like a few free geckos with cages?? I'm in Riverside, please let me know of any good homes I might be able to take them too.

Thanks!

2. bdoink

bdoink Elite Member

Sorry, I'm nowhere near there. One tip though... pictures are always more desirable than text when looking for someone to take them in.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm going to move this to the adoption section, since that's pretty much what you are looking for.

If they haven't had any calcium ever, i would want them to go to a vet. That's just looking at Metabolic bone disease.

http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

4. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Thanks schlegelbagel, didn't know about this thread lol.

I already have a vet, I'm heading there on friday for my snake's follow up visit (from his RI) so I think I'll go ahead and take the geckos, and let the vet know I'll be bringing a few more friends.

Sorry didn't have time for photos, here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So they will either have a clean bill of health, or on the mend depending on what the vet says.

EDIT:

So I told her I'd take the leos, and the family decided to keep them. lol. Either way, were going to the vet on friday, and then I'm taking her to the pet supply store to make sure the cages are properly set up.

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Aww, that's nice. I had a feeling you were going to keep them. Good luck with your new family members.

6. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

I know this is a bit late and has already been settled but if they should change their mind about the leopards I am right down the road from you and would be willing and able. Keep me in mind.

7. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Yeah! A happy ending hopefully and a great family bonding project! Flint good job helping them out and educating them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.