This Disappears When Logged In

Gecko Yoga??

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Teko, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Teko

Teko Member

Hi there,

My gecko is 19 years old, and has always been small. She last she right before Christmas. Directly after this shed, she "peed" a large amount of water (about the size of a loonie), which we have never seen before. She has hardly eaten anything since, if anything at all. Since she's getting old, she's not overly active and lays around quite a bit. The weird/scary part is this: lately when she's hanging around, she goes into these weird positions. Her front legs and head are normal (as if she's resting on her belly), but she twists her body around so that we can see her entire belly sideways - kind of like a rainbow, with one leg up and off the ground. Now today, she has twisted to the point that her "bum" is turned right around, tail to the ground but off to the side (I'm scared it will break off!) with only one back leg on the ground. We have a clear view of her belly which is extremely thin at this point. Her tail is shrinking as well. What the heck could this be?

2. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

That seems a little odd, I have never witnessed this behaviour but what Rich stated could be the issue. Also, could you provide some pictures of the gecko just so we can see how her condition is at the moment?

Leopard gecko's are not supposed to "pee" out a liquid, it should be a solid substance called urate.

Edit: I'm sorry, I edited my previous post, I guess I didn't read properly as I asked questions you had already provided the answers too. 2am is a little bit too late to be giving advice I would say...

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It actually sounds like she is having a hard time passing stool. A gecko will contort its body and sometimes lick its vent when they can't "go" but want to.
    The strange contortions are used as a means to try and push the waste out.

4. puzzlebean

puzzlebean Elite Member

Awww!!! Yeah I would ask your vet...but isn't 19 years really old for a gecko? Wow!

5. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

19 is pretty old for a leopard gecko, although their are quite a few cases of them reaching 20+ years of age. The oldest in captivity I think is in the mid 20's I believe.

6. Teko

Teko Member

Here is a pic of Teko in "rainbow position".
    We have been "feeding" her water mixed with calcium and multivitamin supplements as she is too weak to eat on her own in the last few days (we started by placing a drop of the water just above her lip so she could lick it off). Before, she would climb right into her water dish but at this point could hardly lift her head.
    The water/vitamins seemed to perk her up a little, but she is still weak and dehydrated looking. We've done the same twice today, also crushing mealworms and feeding her the guts :) We are simply placing this on a baby spoon and letting her lick off what she wants as opposed to trying to force it. When she is done, we let her rest.
    Because of her age, I can't help but think that she's nearly done, but of course we can't stand by and watch her die if it's not her time. Her age definitely complicates the issue...

Attached Files:

7. Teko

Teko Member

She pooped!
    A rather large bm for her, so maybe being dehydrated was holding things up, however, she is still twisting herself around at this point. I will watch for more thoughts/advice from all of you and keep you posted.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Is that a cricket beside her in that picture?

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would back off on this. To high of a concentration of these can be toxic. Instead use unflavored pedialite.

10. Teko

Teko Member

Yes it's a cricket. This pic was taken a few weeks ago. She doesn't really eat them anymore as she can't be bothered, and is much more interested in mealworms. Are you referring to her size? :) Yes, she's definitely a runt LOL
    As for the vitamins, they are in small quantities. I'd say what we're giving her is a safe amount, no worse than dusting the worms etc, but since she doesn't have enough energy to actually go after anything to eat, I feel she needs to get some extra nutrition somehow.

11. Merlin

Vitamins and nutrition are two different issues. Vitamins are intended to supplement a healthy diet, not replace it.
    If you want to get some nutrition in her try some watered down chicken (human) baby food.

12. mld

I was asking about the cricket, because cricket can bother a lizard if they are left in the enclosure and may even try to bite her.

13. Teko

Teko Member

Yes thanks - about the cricket. We know. She's 19. She hasn't immediately jumped for her food like a young'un for some time; we leave her food briefly, and wait to see if she's interested. If she doesn't seem hungry we take it out. This is an old gecko that only eats every few days as it is.
    The vitamins - I know and thanks. No worries. We did this when she hadn't eaten anything for an excessive amount of time. We have been trying with baby food for weeks, but she wouldn't take any of it.

14. Teko

Teko Member

She had some kind of seizure tonight. In hindsight, she has had these weird "twitchy" episodes, and has accidentally flipped over etc in the last 6 months, but tonight it lasted longer. She seemed frightened, flipped onto her back, struggled and we helped her get back over. Repeated the entire thing, and the third time she went over she just laid still. We righted her again, and she laid still on her belly, eyes closed. Breathing seemed OK - at that point she didn't seem distraught, just tired. Anyone hear of this??

15. Anthony14

Anthony14 Elite Member

Well she's getting old and it could be her time. I know 19 is a fine age for a leopard gecko. If this continues I guess euthanasia is a possibility to end the suffering.

16. Teko

Teko Member

Hey I've been doing some research - I wonder if she's an Enigma? She "chases her tail", has bad aim, walks backwards once in a while and all the other stuff mentioned above (smaller size etc). We have only owned the one gecko, and thought that this behavious was just part of what they do LOL Interesting, although I do agree Anthony14. This is a terrible decision to have to make, as you all understand she's a member of our family. The fact that whatever is going on is getting worse tells a story.

17. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Enigmas seem to have a certain look to them, they are a morph after all and I'm not sure if you would accidentally have one, but it is possible. I think either way you should bring her in to the vet? Seizures are not a good thing, and there could be several problems that could cause it, especially as your gecko is much older! The vet may be able to find the problem and figure out what to do to keep your family member around for much longer :)

18. Teko

Teko Member

Enigma - I know! :) Just a thought that would explain so much. I was only thinking that it's a possibility given her age, since from my understanding it began (as most things do) as a "random" mutation. She's way older than the beginning of breeding for this mutation etc. But yeah who knows? Anyway just a neat consideration. I've been looking at pics and she definitely looks like a couple that i've found, but on the other hand I'm no expert LOL
    I put some dried flies in her tank last night and they are gone this afternoon. She has had another small bm so we know things are working.

We have no vet that deals with geckos in my small city :-( so I'm pretty much going by internet/forums etc for info. Although you are all being helpful! I do appreciate any suggestions.

19. mld

Its so weird that she contorts her body in such an awkward position, I wonder if it is a neurological problem.

20. Merlin

Did they even HAVE enigmas 19 years ago?