This Disappears When Logged In

Gecko Off Food Again

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Midori, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Midori

Midori Elite Member

My Leo Mindy is off her food again. I don't know why because my mom recently brought home a box a crickets she pigged out on them then wasn't interested in them or her worms for awhile.

She still have fat in her tail and seems her bight and cheery self when I take her out. Still pooing like normal though they're very small but still doesn't want any food. I don't know why she's on this hunger strike. x_x

Any input would be helpful. She's in a 20 gallon her hot side is running at around 90. Give or take a degree or two depending on the weather. Cool side it around 75. Paper towels for substrate and has 4 hides. One on the cool one in the middle and two on the hot one of which is her moist hide.

2. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I think we have seen your Leo on a syringe diet before, but I am having trouble remembering that thread. Keep that plan handy. I also would stop buying boxed crickets, they get loaded with bacterias that can be harmful for your Leo. I would go by count instead, get them out of the bin.

You could have transferred that bacteria, the good news if that has happened your Leo will not stay sick for to long...just keep an eye out...and be ready to add a few syringe feedings till it passes.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hope Mindy feels better and gets back to eating again! Good Luck!

4. Midori

Midori Elite Member

I haven't had to put her on a syringe diet before. But it looks like it'll happen this time sadly. We're going to go buy wax worms and try and bribe her into eating on her own. But if not she'll be getting chicken baby food. Since I'm pretty sure our local pet shop doesn't have liquid diet for reptiles. I'll try and get into the next town over and get it for her if she's still off her food.

I knew their was a reason we stopped buying her box crickets but I'd forgotten about the bacteria build up. ._. So had my mom. She feels so bad about it when I reminded her. Did a whole wipe down of her cage since the crickets ran around in their. Hopefully she'll not be to annoyed being force feed. I have a feeling it'll be a two person job.

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Just drop a little on her/his nose and let them lick it off. Just take your time, it's not bad really. Good luck with your leo. But I have a question, what are you guys talking about "box crickets?"
    And bacteria?
    I don't feed mine crickets rarely so I am wondering what you guys are saying.
    I feed mine calciworms (phoenix worms) superworms, mealworms, hornworms, (when I get to a show) and waxworms.

6. Medium

Medium Elite Member

You know, we see so many Leo's off food I forget who's who...sorry about that.

Shops will sale boxed cricket's Lucy, the problem is, it is such a small box holding up to 30 crickets...they die...and the live ones end up walking over half the dead. Then they basically rot in the box. Then if you feed what is left to your Leo...it's like feeding them rotted food!

7. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Mindy isn't impressed with the chicken baby food, but I got about a meal worms worth into her.

She did not want to lick the food off her nose. She's to smart for her own good and kept trying to wipe most of it off before licking her nose. ._.

8. mld

Sending my thoughts and prayers to your little Mindy!

9. Midori

Midori Elite Member

Thank you MLD. She's much more perky now that she has had food. We got more down her but it took both me and my mom together to get her mouth open and use the dropper to get it into her.

Hopefully after a few days of this she'll realize eating on her own is much easier. Then having us make her it the horrible chicken. >.>

10. Medium

Medium Elite Member

There is also a product made by Fluker's called Repta-Aid for carnivores. It taste better, and my Leo was back on live food with in just a few days of use. It has all the nutrition and better then baby food I think.

I found it at Petsmart!!

11. Midori

Midori Elite Member

I plan on picking some up but the local pet shop doesn't carry it. The nearest petsmart is about an hour away. x_x So she's on chicky baby food slightly diluted with water. I mixed a little calcium in with it today. Going to mix a bit of her vitamins in tomorrow.

She's such a brat sometimes. After we feed her today she clung to my mom and acted like I was the evil one. Even though my mom was the one who held her still and forced her mouth open. She's such a little drama queen.

12. Medium

Medium Elite Member

I did have trouble finding it on Fluker's web site, but I bet you can find it online somewhere sold. Try a search if your still wanting it...I bet someone has it for sale, and it can come to you!!

I hope all is going okay for you little guy!!

13. mld

Here is a link to a on-line store, also I think that you can order from petsmart on-line as well. Here is the one for Insect/carnivore
    Fluker's Repta-Aid Insect/Carnivore

14. Medium

Medium Elite Member

They must have moved it from the old location...I dug and dug...LOL...good job finding it!!!

15. mld

Actually I couldn't find it on the Fluker's web site, I could see the box in the list, but when I clicked on it, it wasn't there!

16. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Maybe they are out of stock...I bet it can be found in a search at another shop if it wants to be difficult...LOL! That other shop works too...they look on the up and up. Cant remember if I have shopped there, but it looks good!!

17. Midori

Midori Elite Member

My mom ordered Mindy some Zilla jump start. It should be here in about 5 days. She'll be on chicky baby food until then. She did this when I was asleep after stressing all night over Mindy not eating.

Mindy while not eating still does seem to be acting more normal then she was a few days ago.