This Disappears When Logged In

Gecko Newbie !!

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Brutus, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Brutus

Brutus Member

I just rescued a Leopard Gecko from a bad owner he wasnt taking care of it abd wanted to get rid of it so i took it home i made a lot if research online but im not sure i got quite the experience with reptiles .. I know you cant put sand in there but thats what was in there now im wondering does aquarium gravel would work better ??

2. maryelizabeth

maryelizabeth Elite Member

No. The only reason that sand is bad is that it can cause in impaction if ingested. A peice of aquarium gravel is much worse if eaten, it is big and hard and cannot be passed.
    Paper towels or reptile carpet work best, they are easy to clean, and cannot be accidentally ingested.
    How big is the enclousure, and what are you using for heat??

3. Brutus

Brutus Member

Its an under tank heating pad in a 15 gallon tank i think

4. Brutus

Brutus Member

Wouldnt tiles take long to heat up ?

5. maryelizabeth

maryelizabeth Elite Member

Tiles are another good altenative, but it can be hard to find them to fit, and hard to cut, not to mention heavy and could be costly. I would use paper towels. They work great with an undertank heater.

6. Brutus

Brutus Member

Well i bought tiles for him and some fake plants, calcium, vitamin D3 and mealies .. He is so skinny i need to make him gain some weight so im gonna feed only mealies for a while !! Poor thing ..
    He had a hard time eating the criquets even if we broke the back legs his belly has wrinkles of a once nice full belly he first didnt seem interested in the mealies that i coated with vitamin and calcium so we put him in the container with them once he tasted one he couldnt stop eating he ate about 15 of them he was so full and happy he didnt even take the tine to go in his hide to digest he just rolled in a ball in the back with his eyes closed he looked so full and happy .. He usually hides alot but he is friendly and loves exploring my bed xD i just felt relieved that he was actually comfortable enough to sleep in the open with a smile on his face and a big full belly

7. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

What are your temps in your enclosure? How are you measuring them? Does he have hides? What's the humidity? And what are you using to heat the enclosure with?

8. Brutus

Brutus Member

In the day its usually between 90 and 93F and at night its about 77F i seen it drop to 73F but its winter so not too surprising and i have and under tank heating pad and an incadesent 60W light bulb (the heat pad keeps my temperature at night stable while the bulb rises the temperature during the day) he has a hide and a lot of fake plants covers to hide under the humidity is about 80 .. I mesure the temps with an exo terra thermometer and those sticker strips for aquariums but its inside on the bottom of the tank where the heatin pad is

9. Brutus

Brutus Member

He use to be on sand with one hide and a water bowl only and temperatures were always low

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The humidity is 80? Thats way too high for a leopard gecko and will cause respiratory issues. They are arid country animals and the humidity should be in the 30 - 40% range.

The sticker strips are useless. They are designed to measure an aquarium full of water which is essentiallly a solid object. In an air filled terrarium, they ony measure the temperature of the glass itself. Think about touching a window glass in the winter. That would not be the temperature inside your home.

11. Brutus

Brutus Member

Its on the floor over the heating pad so its mesuring the temperature of the heating pad so thats good but the humidity i cant do much thats why he has no wet hide cause i figured its already humid enough but i dont know how to put it down either im just givin the best i can with what i know thats why im on here cause i need help

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What is causing the humidity issue?
    Can you put up photos of the tank so we can try to figure this out?
    80% humidity is outrageous and very difficult for most to achieve outside a totally enclosed environment.

13. Brutus

Brutus Member

I dobt know the issue but since i had the hygro meter never budged and theres only a water bowl in there will post pics in a sec

14. Brutus

Brutus Member

15. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Is the top a screen lid?

16. Brutus

Brutus Member

Yes it is

17. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

by looking at the photo, I can say that if that is a water bottle hooked up to a dish then that should change. Just a shallow bowl of water that is changed daily with clean water.
    Also that strip meter that is on the floor is no good, get yourself a digital thermometer with a probe, place the probe on the floor of the hot hide then let us know what the temperature is.

You need 3 hides
    A hot hide, on the hot side over the UTH
    A moist hide on the hot side, this can easily be made with a margarine tub, line it with moist papertowel and cut a hold on the side for an entrance and leave the lid on
    A cool hide on the cool side.

A dish of pure calcium, I just use a plastic bottle top

Tiles are great for a substrate also paper towel or newspaper.

When you get your digital thermometer with a probe, let us know your basking temp, you will want it to be 90 degrees.

18. Brutus

Brutus Member

How can you put three hides in there its already pretty small and can you post a link of the kind of thermometer also at first there was two hides but he never went in the second one

19. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

That is why a 20g long is recommended for a leopard gecko. Anything smaller just can't house all the furnishings needed. =]

20. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member