This Disappears When Logged In

Gecko Hatchlings?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by suzieshell, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suzieshell

suzieshell New Member

I'm trying to identify a reptile that was hatched yesterday. We found some eggs while planting and found three in the dirt. My son put them in a little container and we've hatched two in the past month--then let them go. My husband and I believe it is a tropical house gecko, however, someone mentioned that geckos are not in Florida and that it is an anole. I researched and found that tropical house geckos are in Florida. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

(I attached two pictures--thank you!!)

Attached Files:

2. MissSarah102

MissSarah102 Member

I can't tell sorry!

3. suzieshell

suzieshell New Member

Thank you for looking, I appreciate it. Anyone?

4. MissSarah102

MissSarah102 Member

your very welcome!

5. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

sure looks like some sort of gecko to me. i'm not too great with gecko species i'm just going by gecks that i have seen in pics and what is posted around the forum. really cute though.:) can it stick to things? looks like it has sticky pads on its toes.

6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

They are cute! Definatley some type of gecko

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It is definately a gecko species (wheres Matt when we need him?;) )and your friend is very mistaken. In fact there are a number of alien species that have become well established in Florida.
    Everything from Green iguanas to burmese pythons!

8. suzieshell

suzieshell New Member

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this. So very helpful! Does anyone know what the differences are between an anole and gecko? Thank you, thank you!

9. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Anoles and geckos are very different. Geckos are nocternal anoles are'nt, body structure is different, diets are pretty much the same. Anoles require UVB lighting where as geckos dont...thats all I can think of for now lol

10. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Welcome to HC Network! I think that little one looks definitely gecko to me also....Matt??? a real cutie.....

11. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I just sent Matt and IM he should be along shortly...haha good thing he's around or we'd all have weird mystery pets!

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, are you gonna fetch me every time there's an ID in need now? :p

Yup, they're geckos alright. The differences between geckos and anoles are vast. Scientifically, they're not even related other than that they're both lizards. Physiologically, geckos such as these lack eyelids, and are nocturnal. Anoles also possess colorful dewlaps of flesh under the throat, and geckos do not. Both geckos and anoles have pads on their toes for climbing, though the pads of a gecko are far better than that of the anole.

As for the species, that's gonna be tough considering how many species are found in FL, and considering that newly hatched geckos are not going to look like the adults. I can say this though, as of now, they don't look like house geckos...at least not mediterranean house geckos (Hemidactylus turcicus), which are the ones you usually think of when thinking "house gecko".

This is what a hatchling mediterranean house geckos looks like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What you have looks like it could almost be a golden gecko (Gekko ulikovskii). They're not native to Florida, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're breeding there anyway. These geckos could still also be some other non-native species, and possibly some other species of house gecko, though they definately look like they might better belong to the Gekko genus to me. I'll look more into it when I get home :)

13. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

I live in Florida and have observed and hatched many house geckos but I think all were Mediterranean house geckos. I don't believe I have ever see those before, but I have lived here my whole life and I've seen all kinds of odd, non-native lizards become established in concentrated areas. It takes some time for an invasive species to take over an entire state. :rolleyes: Where abouts in Florida do you live?

14. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Can't help you suzieshell, but Welcome to Herp Center!

I'm sure someone more experienced here will help you!

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, the specific area of FL you hale from will hopefully narrow down what species this could be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.