This Disappears When Logged In

Gecko Cam

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Orca, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Orca

Orca Elite Member

After reading about that program, I had to download and try it. It seemed awesome with all it could do but its not working right and the forum is down to ask for help. Anyone else here use it? I think I saw Jen (Dragoness) post that she didn't like it. I can't save species names and it keeps putting the last three reptiles I added as the same one.

What other herp care databases have you guys tried?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I haven't tried any but I have considered writing one for HC.

3. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I think it would be great to have a web-based reptile information/tracking system,..When I first started tracking/documenting my herps I searched everywhere for a good program, unfortunately, I never could find one that was compatible with my MacBook. Everyone I looked at, (including Gecko Cam) was made for windows OS and I couldn't use them.......I finally just decided to make a spreadsheet template and have been entering in all data onto those.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I had the same problems with gecko cam - It took me hours to get anywhere with it. I think I may have it figured partly out, but I'm not sure (been tinkering with it again lately.) and the demo they offer really doesn't explain how to use it.

I also had the problem that I have multiple snakes of the same species on different feeding intervals. They species sheets only allow you to choose one feeding interval per species, not per individual. It would be easy enough to sidestep that by making up a species name for the different snakes.

For example, sour male BP is an inconsistent eater, we only offer him food ever 14 days. But our female is weekly.

5. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I'll probably end up playing in Excel too. Though I really think that Rich should make one *grins* :)

6. Chadleystar

Chadleystar New Member

Hey guys,

I have been trying out a few systems there is still one I havent got my hands on yet because they are updating it and thats vyper GP but I can suggest Degei V4 here is the link to it:

Free Version

follow the instructions to bring it up to date and away you go, it will take a bit to set up if you have alot of herps but once set you the options are endless.

You can create new species and sub species, feeding items and costs, ad pics of each herp, track them all indivdually. With pinting options for sheding, breeding, feeding and much more. Its made for snakes but I use it for my geckos fine I just dont enter in all the other information that snake keepers need to.

Hope this helps

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I might have to try that one next. this week, I'm fiddling with Metzcal.

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Why don't you all leave me links to these programs you have tried so I can get an idea as to what components would be of use on HC.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Metzcal seems to have a lot of great features, but I'm having a rough time learning it, mostly because I am not computer literate. If i was more technically inclined it would be perfect. Great software, I'm just not a great user.

Metzcal Herp Software