This Disappears When Logged In

Gecko Blindness

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by leo and gecko, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leo and gecko

leo and gecko New Member

Hi, I am new and I have a leopard gecko. It seems like she's gone blind. Is that something that happens to geckos? I've put a normal lightbulb in the heat lamp (60 watt) and am wondering if that's bad. -S

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

As long as you are giving her a 12 hour lights on/lights off schedule, a regular bulb is fine for heat.

How is your gecko acting so you think she is blind?

3. reptiguy

reptiguy Member

I am wondering how you know too? If it is blind or if it is suffering from an eye infection or along those lines. The best choice is to go to the vet.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC! Leopard geckos can go blind when exposed to intense light. Typically though this is reversed to being subjected to extreme amounts of UV light. An ordinary household bulb, pending the leopard gecko has the ability to escape the light if it chooses, should not be a problem.

As already stated, what exactly is leading you to believe the gecko is blind? How long have you had her?

5. chocoholics123

chocoholics123 New Member

I think I have the same problem with my leo, Pepper. I'm not sure, but good luck!

1.0~pepper
    1.0~lilly
    0.1 fire bellied toad~sparky

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I have a leopard gecko who is a bit of a train wreck, along with severe mbd he seems to have some vision problems as well, I have to touch his food to his nose to get him to take it, dropping it in the tank or putting it in a dish is futile.

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I can't help you with the gecko issues, but wanted to say Welcome!

8. venus

venus Founding Member

Me either but welcome to Herp Center.

9. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Welcome to HC! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.