This Disappears When Logged In

Garter Enclosure

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by Erwynn, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

Can anyone post a pic of their garter enclosure? Ours is in a temp sterilite right now with a water bowl on one end, hide, and sitting half on a heating pad for warmth. I've tried many cages with it, and everything always seems too big or too small.

I was thinking of getting an exoterra cage and putting tons of branches in it and whatnot. Think it would like that?

Nori loves to swim in the water, so i always have a big bowl of water in there.

It has an INSATIABLE appetite! We used to give it fish all the time, but lately found out it loves mice. But it always seems hungry. Is that the norm? Anyone found anything to be filling enough for their garter not to be wandering for food every couple days?

Should I get it a buddy? I know they can live communally.

2. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

*bump* I am curious to know also.

3. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Garters love to climb and swim. There really is no such thing as too big for them. I would say get a 40 gallon. It is the same foot print as a 20 long, but twice the height. Garters do eat about every two to three days and that is normal. My wife does co-hab our pairs and we have no problems. We have even had 2 males together. We feed rats once they are big enough. She also feeds earthworms,guppies, salmon and tilapia. Never feed trout worms, red wrigglers, goldfish, or rosy red minnows. They are all very bad for your snake. What kind of garter is it? Good luck and can't wait to some pics.