This Disappears When Logged In

Fungus Among Us

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by CodyW, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

This is one of my crested gecko vivs. I've been messing with humidity cycles to see what would happen and this is it. I found this little mushroom had sprouted. I looked at the front glass closely to see if there was a layer of mycelium and there seemed to be a few more getting ready to sprout up. I have no idea on the species but it doesn't appear to be taking over. I'm going to keep the tank dry for tonight and then flood it tommorow night. I'm guessing the spores came in with the magnolia leaves I am using. I don't think the mushrooms are anything to worry, in fact I was fascinated by the idea that I have fungus, in my opinion that means I have a very healthy and active substrate.

Sorry the pics aren't the greatest, I couldn't set the tripod up to take a picture of it.

This is the viv:
    [​IMG]

And here is the fungus.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Can the crested eat them?

3. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

that is awesome cody! You have a great skill in naturalistic viv design and the additional "things" that come with it always seem to help you rather than hinder you. Great Job!

4. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Now can you do morels in there? That would be a feat

5. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Mark some black morels would rock. LOL. Thats what I thought it was at first but it stopped growing.

rbl, I suppose the crested could eat the fungus but I don't think its in their diet. They eat fruit and bugs, it seems they have an excellent sense of smell they use to find the fruit and they hunt bugs by movement, I don't see how they would be attracted to the fungus.

Adam, thanks bud, you have no idea how excited I was to find this. I've been thinking about inoculating my substrate with spores from outside or ordering some tropical species from online. But I didn't have to :)

6. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

I asked because it may be harmful...

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My thought exactly! If it does eat it there might be a problem.
    If the mushroom is a species not native to the geckos home range it may not recognize whether or not it is toxic (if it IS toxic). A similar example is bearded dragons and our fireflies. They have nothing to judge by and if they eat one they die!
    Does look cool though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.