This Disappears When Logged In

Fungis and smell!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Puffthewaterdragon, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How can u keep fungis out of your tank. My friend has a RES and it always gets that nasty film on it ... any sugestions? Is there any additive that can be added to the water?

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

My mom had the same problem, so we put them in a bigger tank. There are some fish that will help with the problem but I don't know what they are.
    Before we moved them we did frequent water changes (about 2/3 of the water) about every other week.

3. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

snails, plecostimous, and loaches are nice algae fungus eaters.

4. Thanks my friend will appreciate the advice ;)

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Plecos are my favorite, however they do grow to be about 12" long, chinese algae eaters are a good choice. If you choose snail stick with one each of a couple of different species, if they breed in your tank they are hard to get rid of.

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Puff, are you talking about algae or fungus? Plecos will eat algae, but they're not real big on fungus. You also gotta make sure the turtle doesn't try and eat the pleco cause they have spines in their fins.

The film sounds like the result of poor housing conditions. How big is the turtle and the tank? Does your friend have a filter? How often does the cage get cleaned? I've seen this happen to a lot of turtle habitats and its almost always cause there's too much turtle for the size of the tank, there's no filter, and/or the tank isn't cleaned often enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.