This Disappears When Logged In

Fun in the Sun

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by EriksExotics, Apr 9, 2014.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Nice and warm out so I took the snakes out for some sun light. I only took a few photos because I was a bit occupied making sure that no one snuck away from me lol Maybe I'll take my DSLR next time and get shots of everyone. The only snake who didn't get to go was Cupcake (pregnant BCI)

Lazy Duma didn't really move much. She just kind of laid and enjoyed the sun lol
    13739719344_e7bdf91258_h.jpg

13739406033_0a29c3ee23_h.jpg

Bob Ross exploring the grass.

13739796264_33b81619b9_h.jpg

Pastel Dream trying to sneak away from me lol

13739831314_626dd7c81f_h.jpg

13739847364_4de43a6836_h.jpg

2. AlexisFitzy

AlexisFitzy Active Member

Very nice! I love outdoor shoots! They look great! :)

3. EriksExotics

Thank you

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

nice :)

5. EriksExotics

Thank you, Joey

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well if they were on leashes they wouldnt escape! Then you could go for walks and they could get some nice exercise!

7. EriksExotics

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

and the follow up is, "Child killed by dangerous killer python!"
    So lets ban them all!

9. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Very nice photos and of course it's good to let them get some natural sunlight and a bit of a stretch in the grass sometimes!

I also understand Merlin's thoughts, I myself have to be very careful about taking out any of my snakes and who sees them. Just about every single Jamaican human being fears or hates snakes - what they think snakes can do, what snakes represent to them as their parents instilled in them - snakes are slimy and ugly and they can sting, they are all "poisonous", and they are just plain Evil.

So much ignorance and unfortunately it can lead to big problems for us reptile keepers when something bad does happen because someone left their Burm outside and forgot, and it killed the neighbor's prize chihuahua or worse.

I take mine out in the neighborhood park now and then, but mostly just in my own yard. That is safest, but never leave them alone for even a moment. Also remember small snakes and even reasonable size ones are sometimes killed or taken by birds of prey, dogs, cats, and humans. Watch out too and be sure that the garden was not just sprayed with insecticide!

10. EriksExotics

Nearly no one can see them since the grass is tall and they stay low as demonstrated in the last picture. That and I do have the legal right to have my pets on my property :) I get yoyr point, though. If someone passes by, I pull them onto the porch out of respect because I know that a lot of people are in fact scared of snakes. I've never had anyone react negatively to them when they do happen to see them because most people around here are intrigued rather than scared. And for those who happen to be scared, it doesn't matter because I take all of the snakes far enough away from the sidewalk to where the pedestrian(s) can comfortably walk past without fear. Most people are willing to respect me having them out in the grass if I respect their fear of the snakes and pull them away. My snakes are kept in plastic totes for nearly their entire lives and I won't deprive them of the benefits of being in the sunlight because of what someone else thinks. Just like I still take my 90 lb pit bulls on walks despite what people think or say. It's my right and I am always respectful of other people's thoughts and fears which almost always results in positive outcome.
    Even people who are intrigued by my snakes when I have them out, No one touches or handles them Neither adults nor children. I can read my snakes behavior fairly well and that is not something I trust some random guy or kid or woman, etc to do. I know that almost all of my snakes have not had a lot of handling time with humans because they were breeders and future breeders. Some of them are jumpy and/or hold on very tightly when they're scared. I can deal with that calmly but I wouldn't ever trust someone I didn't know personally to hold snakes that aren't comfortable with people. It's the same thing as people petting my dogs. My female pit is out going and loves attention but my male is protective of me and my family and can be jumpy around new people.. I certainly wouldn't let some random person pet him without fear of them being bitten or hurt in some way. He was a guard dog before we got him and I understand he's doing what he's been taught so I am very cautious when I walk him or have people around him because I know he will try and protect me if he thinks I'm in danger or if someone makes contact with me and he reads it wrong or tries to touch him.

I respect your opinion but that's my view on it. I'm respectful, aware, and precautionary plus I know my local laws so I am not concerned about bans due to my pets being in my grass. It's Portland... Take a walk downtown and you'll see worse haha

11. EriksExotics

I understand what you're saying 100%. Luckily most people are rather curious than ignorant here. I've had more people come and ask questions than say "eww snake!!" and run away. I always keep another person with me and we each assign ourselves to watch certain snakes I.e I watch the Albino BCI and Boa Dumerili and whomever is with me can watch the Hypo Poss Super DH Coral Sunglow and the Pastel Dream and once we have them in their totes ready to go back in the house, we do a headcount to make sure no one has escaped or was forgotten in the yard.

The only snakes I have small enough to be taken or killed by a cat, bird, etc sit in my lap being supervised the entire time. I would certainly loose them in the tall grass.