This Disappears When Logged In

Frozen Rodents?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jay1718, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

i usually feed my snake two large mice every week or so, most of the she seems like she would eat another if I offered it, but every once in a while she only eats one. I only feed frozen thawed so if she doesn't eat one I just bag it up and throw it away. I never considered refreezing the uneaten mouse, it kinda seems gross.
    I was talking with a friend at work and he says he has refrozen mice and rats for yrs without incident. I thought that was weird. It's not like rodents are expensive, I order 50 at a time.
    Just wondering if anyone else refreezes rodents? Maybe I'm the weird one lol

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not at all. I frequently refroze rodents. A lot depends on how long the rodent is thawed. If it is only thawed for a short time and then refrozen,...once. But if it has been thawed several hours I pitch it.

3. Jay1718

Thanks for the reply. lol I guess I am the weird one. Really good to know, I was always under the assumption that the guts still inside an animal would spoil the meat really fast. Thanks again for the reply

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I will refreeze once also, but in my case I normally have something I can give an extra rodent to if someone refuses, like my savanna monitor or one of the boas. So there is your excuse to get more reptiles, lol.

5. Jay1718

lol don't think that's enough to convince my wife, she gets nervous any time we go to a pet store

Darkbird likes this.