This Disappears When Logged In

Front Opening Enclosures - How Do You Feed Insectivores In Them?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by CTU2fan, Mar 20, 2015.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Just occurred to me that in front opening cages like my Visions and AP cages any insects that aren't quickly eaten will escape. Is there a good solution for this?

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My 3 Crested Geckos are in front opening enclosures. My Bearded Dragon is as well. We feed the dragon in a feeder dish. The Dubia Roaches and Superowrms we feed can't escape the enclosure. We give the crestie crickets once every week or 2. (They eat CGD daily.) They are adult cresties and the crickets are medium or large and also don't escape. What are you feeding for prey?

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

As long as they can't climb on the door it helps. I had an enclosure in the past with doors at the back which had faux rock on them. NEVER again. Every time I opened a door I was chasing crickets.
    If you have spaces around the doors you are concerned about. Self-adhesive weatherstripping does wonders.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Im guessing your refering more to cages with sliding doors, rather than swing doors. Swing doors aren't usually an issue, at least on the cages I have. What I did for the one cage I have insectivores in that has sliding doors was to fid a piece of plastic sheeting that was semi rigid (think slightly thinner than a credit card) and cut a piece long enough to fill the gap between the two door panels where they overlap (the only place I ever had escape issue). I made the piece wide enough so I could fold it in half along the length, then I just stick it in said gap to contain the crickets. I can take a pic later if that didn't make sense.
    Oh, and feeding bugs in an escape proof dish will cut down on the number of loose ones running around. Won't eliminate the issue because the lizards inevitably climb right in the dish and become the escape route for some of them.

arojas7112 likes this.
  5. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

OK thanks I think I see what you mean, basically it makes a little dam between the 2 doors in the middle?

I could go the dish route I suppose, but yes, the lizards tend to scatter them around anyway. I had a tegu once who loved superworms, but he'd spill the dish and the worms would take refuge under the water dish (the only place he couldn't get them).

The cages I'm using are Animal Plastics cages and they come with a front wall with cutouts. The frame is about 2" high, I wonder if I could glue or caulk a strip of plexi along the bottom, maybe 3-4" tall? I can't remember if crickets can climb plexi but I know dubias can't.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Here a pic. The crickets can't climb the glass or that plastic, so they have nowhere to go. This is in a vision cage. 20150322_162217.jpg

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You can stick on a piece of appropriate size weatherstripping as well. It's what I use to help seal off and keep humidity from escaping.

8. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Awesome, just looking for some suggestions and now I've got a few. I'm waiting on the cages so I'll be able to experiment with different things. I'm more worried about crickets, since I've had my dubias, watching them they don't seem to be very nimble climbers at all.