This Disappears When Logged In

Frogs and Melafix

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by HappyScrappyHeroPup, Sep 6, 2009.

1. I have two Albino African Clawed Frogs and just got a Fly River Turtle and they're currently housed together. The FRT has a little bit of damage on his shell and I want to treat the tank with Melafix, but I don't know if the frogs can handle it, or should I quarantine the turtle and treat him separately? I know that frogs are super sensitive to everything since their skin is so permeable, so I won't treat the tank until I know for sure that Melafix is safe for them. Thanks in advance for any help someone can give.

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: Frogs and Melafix?

I would separate them for the treatment and keep them separated so there is no cross-contamination or cross species snacking.:eek:

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: Frogs and Melafix?

What Love said. I wouldn't house the two together at all. I don't know anything about the turtle requirements, but I do know they are from opposite ends of the earth and probably need different set ups. There is a very good chance of cross contamination of diseases.

And yes, Melafix in the wrong dose, WILL kill your frogs.

4. Re: Frogs and Melafix?

Thanks guys, I'm setting up my Nano 12 Gallon today that I've had empty forever and gonna put in my two ACF's. They're so cool, but I feel bad because the light's are out, I think it's a bad ballast or something. I did however do a lot of research last night and found out that Melafix is fine for frogs as long as it is in low doses, so I treated the tank. That being said, I think it's good idea to separate them. They're fine now, but I know that it's just tempting fate to keep them all together. Now the question is do I keep the Reedfish in with the froggies or with the FRT...Hmmm. The 12 gallon is just too small for the reedfish, so I think for now he'll stay with Noodles the turtle in the 30 gal.