This Disappears When Logged In

Froglet Identification Help Pls

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Erin, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

There are some interlopers in the kiddie pool Gray tadpoles I brought in. I did look at a couple Georgia Herp sites, but I can't figure it out. Perhaps because they are so young.

One is very green with body long stripes (in the bottom left corner of 1st pic), one is cooper with body long stripes, and the other is bronzey with just head stripes.

They all emerged from the water within 24 hours of one another, but their sizes vary greatly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What size are they in comparison to the gray tree frogs?

3. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

The one in the upper right of the 1st pic is probably 1/3rd larger than the Gray froglets. He was a maniac to catch and take out of the water, btw.
    The middle frog is just about the same size as Grays, and the greenish one in the bottom left is about the size of my smallest emerging Grays.

I can re size the pics to make them larger if it would help.

4. schlegelbagel

I think you are just going to have to wait and see.

5. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I wanted to release them as their tails are just about absorbed. I guess I will have to live with the mystery. Darn!

6. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

The one at the top of the second picture sure looks like a Western Chorus Frog!

They have a black band through the eye to the nose, there is a white/cream band under the black- I don't know if they are common in your state- I don't think so-

7. eos

eos Well-Known Member

The second pic bottom right frog could be a wood frog.

8. willk

willk Active Member

the big one in the 3rd picture looks very much like a Barking TreeFrog. Do you have them in Georgia?

9. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Whatever they are, they are beautiful!!! Wish we had such a variety!! Only seen a few grays so far this year and the MI common toads. Maybe that darn garter snake has scared them off!!

10. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Apparently we do, which I did not know

Frogs and Toads of SC and GA

Would the froglets be bronze or copper colored?

Thanks, and I agree :)

They are so completely different in behavior than the Grays, even minutes coming out of the water. It's been a very enjoyable and educational summer.

[​IMG]

11. schlegelbagel

From raising my FBTs, I have found that they are 100% a different color than when they are adults. They are now just starting to get yellow bellies and some are finally turning green.