This Disappears When Logged In

Frog Up Date

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Joy81, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

Well my little frog's toes are looking a lot better, but now he is not eating. He sleeps all the time and is not active at all, even hours after the lights go out. I have tried to feed him wax worms in the tank and crickets, nothing seems to work :( My other frog is happy and active, and eating like a pig. He still has good weight on him, should I be concerned?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

How long has it been since his little toes were sore? Try to keep those temps between 85 and 87. A little bit warmer helps with healing. If you are worried about him getting dehydrated, give him a few extra mistings.

3. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

His toes have been sore for about a week. But they look Much better. I got the humidity at about 75 and the temp at about 82 but I think I can warm it up a bit more. Like I said, he looks pretty good but he just won't eat. If I take him out he just snuggles up in my hand or on my neck and goes to sleep. I have been just letting him be, I don't wanna stress him out :(

4. schlegelbagel

He is snuggling because he is cold. I would try to get the temps up a few more degrees. Maybe even give him a warm bath.

5. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

A warm bath huh? Well he isn't gonna get any bubble bath, or a back scrubber, thats for sure! LOL I will try that tonight, I will get a new lamp on friday when I get paid. I am going to get an inferred lamp for at night, despite all my efforts, it still gets pretty chilly at night.

6. schlegelbagel

Remember you don't need any fancy dome for that bulb. A simple shop light dome would work. $5 instead of $15 for the ceramic dome. I find the blue "night bulb" doesn't bother any of my frogs.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It depends on what wattage bulb you are going to need. An infra red bulb is still putting out heat. I prefer to be on the safe side for any bulb 100 watts or more I use a ceramic socket.
    It's cheaper than a fire.

8. schlegelbagel

For a night blub heating lets say a 29 gallon tank, you only need a 25 watt bulb. I have that in my RETF tank and it sits at 73 degrees.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok with a 25 watt I wouldn't worry either!
    I am just used to working with MUCH higher temperatures and wattage!

10. schlegelbagel

Yeah, not anything huge here!

11. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

I borrowed the lamp from the snake last night, she doesn't mind cooler temps. Today I will stop at the hardware store and pick up a lamp. I gave him a warm soak last night he seemed to perk up a bit. I noticed something awful tho, It looked like a sliver, but much to my horror, it looks like a little froggy toe bone poking out of the end of his toe. His toes look better though, no bleeding or sign of infection. I wish we had a herp vet in the area. What should I do? I have never had to DR a frog before, I know how to fix all things furry though. :(

12. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Are you anywhere near Bozeman? There is one there. If you aren't near there you might want to call them and see if there is anyone they would recommend closer to you. Herp Vet Connection

13. schlegelbagel

Bone sticking out?!?!? That is NOT good. You can treat it with neosporin without pain reliever but its not sounding good for that little foot. :(

14. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

I will call the vet in Bozeman today, its a 2 hour drive, but my car will never make it, but I'll call for a referral. Ugh I feel soooo bad!!! This is the first time I have ever had exotic frogs and I suck at it already :( I have owned almost everything else and never encountered this sort of problem. I hope he will be ok.

15. schlegelbagel

Remember, it might not be your fault. Its always possible it's a pre-existing condition and its just showing its ugly face now. Those little frogs go through lots of transporting. Lots never make it through, or make it through really injured.

16. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

His toe was big and funny looking when I got him, but i checked him all over, I figured maybe it was like a birth defect or something :( But that kind of makes me feel better in a morbid kind of way.

17. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Joy, I hope everything will be ok. And it sounds like Liz is right, it was probably there when you got him but until you started giving him the proper care he needed - and the swelling went down that's when the real problem surfaced.

All you can do is the best you can for the lil' guy. Hopefully you will have some luck locating a closer vet.

But keep your chin up...

Frognut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.