This Disappears When Logged In

Frog ID Help.

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Jenn, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenn

Jenn Elite Member

We are in the process of draining our pool for the winter months coming and I let the pool drain more than half way but I have not finished yet and it has been taken over by green tree frogs, so every night me and my son go out to look at them. Well last night there was a huge (the size of my hand) green frog swimming in it so I reached down and picked it up to look at it and it was very slimy, Green with black marks and toes like a tree frog, im going to try to get a pic tonight but I was wondering if anyone knew what it was. We are in Central Florida.

2. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

We found a frog in my girlfriend's stepdad's pool in one of the drains. She thought it was dead so I touched it and it moved. It had like yellow stripes and black spots and man he could jump FAR.

3. Jenn

Jenn Elite Member

I bet he was pretty. I love seeing all the different frogs out there.

4. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

When I lived in Orlando, we had frogs that were green with black "spots" on them. They were very bumpy. We also had the really light green tree frogs that had the light bellies. They are so cute!

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Without a photo, its hard to tell. Do some research on "native frogs of Florida" on google and see what you come up with.

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

A picture sure would help. If it is as big as you stated I would go with an American Bullfrog. There are few frogs native to the U.S. that will get that big.

7. scooterlizard

scooterlizard Elite Member

8. Jenn

Jenn Elite Member

thanks, it looks exactly like the barking tree frog (Hyla gratiosa) it is so good to know what it is. It is still hanging out so I gotta get my camera from my Sister in Law so I can get a pic.

9. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

The text below is from the University of Florida:

Adult Cuban Treefrogs range in size from 1.5 to 5.5 inches long. Any treefrog larger than 2.5 inches is almost certainly a Cuban Treefrog, and is definitely NOT native

So unless you have really tiny hands, I'd say a Cuban.

10. Jenn

Jenn Elite Member

hmmmm must be a cuban then.

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

If it was that big it was probably a Cuban, though they're very very rarely any shade of green. They come in golds, tans, creams, and browns but I have seen one or two photos out there with cubans that had green tint to them. Almost makes me wonder if it's a result of their environment, crossbreeding, or just a rare color morph.

12. scooterlizard

scooterlizard Elite Member

It doesn't supprise me if the Cuban Tree Frog has finally reached central Florida. I have the Mediterranian House Gecko in my sheds here in the panhandle.

Dark gray,tans,and golds are the most common colors for them. The green tint with spots is a rare thing amoung them. With all the rain, you will have all kinds frogs in your pool. Enjoy them, they can be comical sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.