This Disappears When Logged In

Frog Has Not Eaten in Over 2 Weeks Help

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by labelleninirose, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

Hello, I have a chubby frog that I got like a month ago and now he has stopped eating for at least 2 weeks. He has lost some weight and I am worried. I tried force feeding but I couldn’t get the cricket in his mouth. I don't know what to do; he does not look sick or even have a sign of a blockage. Can anyone help me?

When I got him
    [​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

What are the temps like? Is he still defecating? There are a lot of things that I see in his tank that he could eat and would cause impaction. The moss, the pebbles, even the bark substrate...

3. labelleninirose

First off, I changed the tank situation after I got him. It has no more moss or bark or water(well he does have a water dish). He now has coco fiber everywhere. His temps are around 27-30 degrees celcius and at night it goes down to 22 degrees celcius. I checked him this morning and there was a a lot of loose skin around his mouth. I heard this could be a sign of chytrid fungus and that he is eating the infectious skin. I have no idea. I don't know if he is defecating, he is always burrowed. I have never seen a frogs feces. He does not seem impacted because I dont see any bloating at all.

4. fire2225ems

No bloating doesn't mean that he can't be impacted. It sounds like either way he probably needs to get to a herp vet. If it is impaction they should be able to tell ya what needs to be done. If it is the chytrid they will have to give you the meds, dosages, and treatment plan.

5. labelleninirose

Well I don't have a herp vet close, would a regular vet do?

6. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Nope. They won't know anything.

7. labelleninirose

Sadly the closest herp vet is a 5 hour drive. So I guess I will have to see what else I can do.

8. fire2225ems

Try calling that vet and asking for a recommendation. They probably won't be willing to diagnose over the phone, but may know someone closer to ya. You, as a pet owner have a responsibility to get the sick frog proper medical treatment.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

A very simple way to see if he has the chytrid fungus is to soak him one day and get any of the loose shed off. Keep him in a sterile tank overnight, and soak him the next day. If more shed comes off in massive amounts, there if a very good chance its chytrid and you can treat it at home very easily. It will NOT harm the frog to treat for the fungus if he indeed doesn't have it. Excessive shedding is a very big sign of the fungus.

And two kill two birds with one stone, when you soak him, use warm water. Not hot, just nice and warm. This might get things moving along in the digestive track.

Report back!!

10. labelleninirose

Thank you for help I will try the treatment with the Lamisil. And I'm sorry for some people here that I seem iresponsible, this is why I come to forums to get help because I don't really know any vets who look at frogs so usually home meds help and can cure anything. I think I'm being pretty responsible for looking for alternatives. I'm going to go with Lizs' post and try for chytrid. I know he had some skin around his mouth this morning. First time I ever see sheds on a frog. I will have to get the Lamisil tomorrow at the drug store so I will try it then, for now I will run my frog a warm bath in my tub and let him soak a while...see if any loose skin comes off. If none comes off is this a sign of no chytrid?

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yes, if no skin comes off then Chytrid might not be the problem. The main symptom of Chytrid is excessive shedding. Be sure you get the dosage right on the treatment.

800 ml of water to 10 squirts of Lamicil. And be sure to put him back into a clean and sterile environment each night after treatment (Once a day for 10 days) or he will just keep getting re-infected.

Chytrid is almost becoming an epidemic in the frog trade right now. It's so sad.

I know you don't keep him on the gravel or moss now, but an impaction could take some time to show its ugly face. So I don't want you to rule that out. A warm bath should help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.