This Disappears When Logged In

Friend Bought a Retic

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Katsura, Jun 26, 2012.

1. justor

justor Elite Member

Are you able to preserve the shell of a tortoise? In one piece?
    Sorry, just suddenly very curious.

2. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Yes, actually. So far I've had very good luck with this (it may be the way I prepare them). The tortoise from the reptile shop was very ill, though, and its shell was extremely brittle. When I took it out of the dermestid box the shell fell apart, so I just have the skull. Actually, that's the only tortoise I've done for myself, instead of for another person. It's a somewhat gross process with a really cool end.

3. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Well, I ended up showing him this thread, and he seemed really dejected and kinda upset... He told me he was going to go back and cancel the purchase before he made a mistake or something, I don't know, but if that's what he's doing, then I am glad... Though I kinda felt bad cause he seemed upset.

And CentriRitanni... I admire you, because I could never live in Oklahoma, tornadoes and those sort of things really freak me out. I like Colorado cause we don't really have to worry about anything except for fires, apparently, ha, and maybe snow.

4. CentriRitanni

Hopefully he does the right thing for himself and for the animal. One day he may be ready and decide he really wants the retic, but it doesn't sound like he has the experience to really understand what he's getting himself into now.

It's a trade off. I love thunder storms, but with them come tornadoes sometimes. I will say that you can tell and Oklahoman from someone in Oklahoma because they can tell you what the radar is saying before the weatherman does and they know whether or not to be worried, haha. Most people who have lived here a while will do this (it seems kind of redneck, but it actually makes sense): leave TV on station showing the weather (Fox, etc), leave door open so they can hear it, and stand on the porch watching the sky. If it's about to get bad, you get about a 10 minute head start that way (real rednecks try to be amateur storm chasers). Honestly, the worst I've ever gotten is hail damage. I got a brand new car on 4.30.10 and on 5.10.10 we had a hail storm with baseball size hail. I tried to beat it and get my car covered before the hail got big (started off smaller than a pea), but didn't quite get there when I got pegged by about 6 pieces of golf ball sized hail and made a break for it. My brand new car looked like a toad (was within $600 of being totaled), and I had some lovely bruises for a while. Not advised to do this! I was thinking about baseball sized hail damaging my new car, and didn't think about it damaging me!

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hope he does cancel his order!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Don't! You may have just saved his life!
    All we need right now is another foolish owner on TV killed by a constrictor!

I am also in Oklahoma and it's just something that you get used to and deal with. Everywhere you live there are things that you have to be concerned about. Earthquakes, wild fires, floods, mudslides,....
    I will take tornadoes over earthquakes any day!

7. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

So True! That would only push people to want to ban constrictors even more at this point.

I may be moving out to OK... Apparently I live in the area with the most variety of issues- Wildfires, floods, tornadoes, SEVERE pop up thunderstorms that knock out the power bi-weekly, and land locked hurricanes/tropical storms, (all of which can cause a minimum of 9 hours without power). And I am prepared for each situation, with a 35 gallon tote full of supplies I may need during that situation, including smaller totes prepped for storing my critters.

8. CentriRitanni

Amen! It is rare that people who actually seek shelter are harmed in a tornado, but an earthquake? Yeah... (although I didn't feel either of the alleged "big" ones, we had. There was a little tiny after shock when I was at work that made a glass break, but I didn't even feel that, I just saw the glass shaking.)

On topic: Merlin is totally right. Don't feel bad. Yeah, it's never fun to feel like you undercut your friend, but sometimes we have to do that when we care.

9. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Thanks for the help and support you guys. He's pretty bummed that he had to give up his prospective new pet, but I think it will be better in the long run, like you guys have said.

And I just don't really know if I could handle tornadoes or earthquakes, to be honest.... I had a bad mother that let me watch scary movies, and let's just say that "Twister" when you're 4 isn't a good idea. We actually had a tornado warning about a month ago (I dunno why, it was very odd) and I completely lost it.. That stuff scares me so much. Not to mention, I've been around the Rockies so long that being anywhere without them is really weird to me.... But it's good that you guys have safety measures set up for you and your reptiles. I will definitely look into some similar measures for the weather we have up here. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, too.

10. CentriRitanni

Again, though, it's mostly only people who choose to act stupidly in a tornado producing storm that are harmed. It is very rare that someone taking proper precaution is harmed.

Glad your friend let it go. I would tell him to research the reality of owning a retic, and if in a few years he REALLY REALLY decides he wants that responsibility forever, then maybe.

11. Beardiebro

Beardiebro Active Member

Haha, down here in Texas the typical daily temp is about 100.

12. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I would disagree with these dimensions. Housing large constrictors in room sized enclosures isn't safe, especially if they're able to reach vertical heights and essentially lurk higher than the keeper is tall. This sets up a predatory situation. One of the many reasons that these species shouldn't be kept by novices. :) I definitely agree with the floor area though. I have my 15 foot burm housed in an enclosure that's 8 feet long and 3 feet deep.

And of course, this is not to say that these room-sized enclosures can't work, but the keeper has to be more than advanced.

To Katsura, don't feel bad about discouraging your friend. That was the best possible outcome for both him and the snake. Especially considering the FACT that retics can grow from adorable, manageable hatchlings to adorable giants in a year. I mean 13 feet in a year without power feeding! That's unmanageable for one individual alone, especially when the individual has zero experience.

13. CentriRitanni

Hadn't thought about the height issue, but yeah, that's still basically a room for a snake (I just knew the depthxwidth standards). And these guys can get a lot bigger than 20'. I think we can all agree that giant snakes are not good pets (they are beautiful, and impressive, but they are simply not a bearded dragon, etc), and if you want one, you definitely need to have the background to do it right.

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

My burmese is my first and only snake. He's a rescue. And at 15 feet, or even 1 foot, he does not make a good first snake. However, I have been mentored the entire time I've had him by several individuals with years of experience with large constrictors. One individual even worked in a breeding facility! So he's seen basically everything, and has taught me accordingly. There is no way I would have decided to adopt and rehabilitate Monty without their guidance. And now he's a happy and healthy snake, and has taught me a LOT.

15. PrimalBeasts

PrimalBeasts Well-Known Member

hopefully that reticulated python is a male. Females retics of the larger subspecies from sulawesi and the selayer islands can reach 10 feet their first year. The regular locality retic females can reach 5 to 6 feet their first year. Males of the type/nominate/representative species tend to be smaller. He might be able to adequately keep one.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  16. alpine

alpine Elite Member

Wow, I know I didn't comment earlier, but I really do think you did the right thing by calling your friend out Katsura... I could never imagine having a snake that big without prior experience with HUGE reptiles, I love ball pythons, they don't get quite that big and they have a tendency towards being relaxed. But reticulated pythons... Those are gigantic! They are fantastic animals but not something anyone should attempt without having tons of space and tons of experience. Before I considered anything like that I would have to have learned a lot from various species... Maybe even worked with people who raise them, but just hopping into the middle with a retic... It is not something I could even consider. I think the largest I could ever bring myself to go is MAYBE to a Red-Tail boa... And even those are a worry in my mind even though they aren't even close to a retic. I wouldn't even consider it without learning from someone about retics (maybe something like what Aja did, good for you and Monty btw Aja). But hopping right in... Just isn't right.

In conclusion I think you shouldn't feel bad for making your friend understand the possible consequences. I am glad that he had someone who had the forethought to call him out on his... lets be honest here.... his stupidity. Good for you, and I hope he learns form this and decides to take it slowly... On that note, I think I am going to stick with ball pythons... Much smaller, if a little finicky with food.