This Disappears When Logged In

FREE iguana food to anyone who does iguana rescue

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by rugbyman2000, Nov 28, 2004.

?

Do iguanas make good pets?

1. Yes, Iguanas are one of the best pet herps out there.

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Igs are good pets 1 or 2 % of the time, not for most people.

42 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. Never. I wish they hadn't been introduced in to captivity.

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 Elite Member

Whats up iguana fans,
    Our rescue just had A TON of iguana pellots donated and there's no way we'll use it all in a couple years because we only use it to suppliment their main diet of veggies. I have ten cases of the stuff right now (maybe 12 containers per case - some juvenile, some adult). I'd like to hold on to 1 case of juvenile and 1 case of adult, and the rest is up for grabs free of charge to anyone who does iguana rescue who could put it to good use. You can either pick some up in Eastern PA or pay shipping and have it sent anywhere.

Our local humane league (Lancaster PA) may have even more of it too because that's where it came from and they wanted me to take MORE than I did believe it or not. If you know any good rescues who use pellots as a suppliment, please let them know.

2. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

i have to vote for all three i love my igs and i think they are wonderfull pets but they arent for everyone and the fact that there care is so difficult in captivity i do wish they had never been brought into the pet trade

3. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

My Ig eats the pellets with his veggies at this time of year during breeding season. I don't know WHY...he won't eat it any other time of the year, but at least he eats during breeding season ;)
    I'll take a few containers off your hands. :D

I really don't know how to answer your poll though. They make great pets...just not for everyone!
    I'll have to think about this one for a bit...
    Thanks,
    Jem and Nadia

4. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

from all of the horrors i have seen in petstores around the metro atlanta area, i would have to say that iggies are not pets for everyone, neither should they be subjected to the harsh treatment some petstores give them. If i had it my way, iguanas would be a species kept by permit only. (along with many many other herps)

-adam

5. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Iguanas

I think that they are great pets, for those who are responsible enough to take care of one I am adopting Louie a beautiful Iguana and I cant wait! :D

6. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Where are you adopting the ig from Audrey, an organization or privately?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Dom- Audrey is taking an ig from another member here.
    Steph has been talking to her and bestowed her blessing.

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I spent time talking to Audrey before she got Louie and felt confident that she knew what to expect, what he'd require, and how to care for him.

Here's the thread that tells all about it: Louie's Adoption

:p That sounds funny, Merlin.

9. NeonTetraFan

NeonTetraFan Elite Member

I dont think Igs should be kept as pets because they need large homes and many people can not supply it for them to grow and be healthy.

10. Paleosuchus

Paleosuchus Established Member

How we stand now with iguanas i wish they had never been introduced to captivity. But I also do not find them as good pets nor do i find any reptiles as a "pet". For anyone that has owned an iguana you have to be real...they are just about one of the worst reptiles to own. They may be beautiful an unique etc etc...but they are a handful and should be owned by experienced people. So i voted I wish they had never been introduced in captivity. Just my thoughts,
    -Jason

11. Venomous

Venomous Member

i have 3 rescue iguanas maybe soon to be four.and they love iggy pellets. one of mine louie i will shake the bottle and she will come running over and even climb up my leg to get to them . she loves them. i will take some off your hands ;) oh and i posted that they are good most of th time. but not for every one. which is true alot of ppl dont understand the care that they need

12. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

This guy never got back to me about the pellets, so I don't know what to think...

13. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

I've actually gotten a case of pellets from Jesse. All he asked was reimbursement for the shipping.

I pm'd him and we had a couple of email exchanges. He had accessive supplus of them that were donated to his rescue and was willing to share with others doing rescue work.

14. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

That's cool! :D

15. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

I have to say that Iggy's make wonderful pets for those who know how to handle them and how to care for them properly.

Iggys are not for everyone and they do take a lot of time. I just feel that they are one of the most loving lizards out there.

Yes,they are a cheap pet to purchase and I feel that they should not have been brought into captivity. But they have and if you have the time, the heart, and the love and patience and the money for them then all is good in iggy world.

I have 3 and I wouldn't change anything about them or give them up for anything in the world. So I voted they are one of the best herps out there.

I love the beardies as well.

Debbie Iggy Bam-Bam and Miss Zak

16. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

I am very interested in obtaining the IG pellets for our newly formed Reptile Rescue here in Maine. We get request all the time to take Iguanas and the food would be very vell used.

I represent the New England Amphibious and Reptile Rescue here in Maine. We're brand new and starting to grow.

Please quote shipping costs to Canaan, Maine.

Nearr website is: http://www.reptilerescue.net/

Nearr email and address is: NEARR
    c/o Richard Sisco
    280 Browns Corner Road
    Canaan, Maine. 04924

rescue@reptilerescue.net

My email is: Bob Stano at MSTANO@maine.rr.com

Robert Stano
    106 Ell Pond Rd.
    Wells, Maine 04090

Please let me know if you have anything left. Thank You

Bob

17. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

Would like to know shipping costs to Maine. Please contact me: Robert Stano at MSTANO@maine.rr.com

thanks

bob

18. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Elite Member

I think i'll have to agree with most everyone here, they make great pets for those who are responsible enough to provide the right kinda care. One of the most appaling examples of this i encountered happened at my local county fair. Instead of the usual prize goldfish they were giving away baby iggies to anyone who could run 4balls on a pool table without missing a shot. You'll be glad to here that this practice was never repeated, at least here since then.

19. virgilpoe

virgilpoe Member

hello

how close are you to hamburg i will be there tom and could use some of that food i have 3 big green igs and 1 small green i will be at the reptile show there let me know thanks rob

20. rugbyman2000

rugbyman2000 Elite Member

Hey everyone all of the ig food is GONE now. I was able to share it with a few different people but there is no more left.

Cheers
    Jesse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.