This Disappears When Logged In

Fredrick's New Home (My insanity in action!)

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by EricJ, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

When I die....I wanna come back to life as an Iguana and live at YOUR place Eric!! :D
    Great job!!!

2. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I am a big fan of how I have the blue tarp folding up the wall as a full cage liner but don't see a way that you could work it into a framed cage with ridged walls. I can lift the whole thing up and remove it for easy cleaning. I sewed velcro around the whole cage and on the trap to afix it but you obviously cant do that.

Is this heater one of the blower type that you commonly find in hockey rinks, shooting ranges, pole barns, work shops, and other large areas of the like?

3. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Any one else agree that the cage should be named Hollywood?

4. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

I like how you do that, too. So much easier than stationary floors... Your design is the best portable cage I've ever seen - easy to care for, big enough for an adult iguana, capable of containing environmental conditions that iguanas need, well designed, and truly portable... Not a small feat when you consider the needs of an adult iguana.

The stationary floor care is no more difficult than any other stationary floor care, and I expect that it will be easier than enclosures/cages that utilize natural materials.

No. It would be worthless in all those situations, except a hockey rink.

It is only useful if you have a fairly thin insulating wall, so it's only purpose is adjusting the temperature in small enclosed spaces. A very similar design is used in smaller cruisers (~23-45 feet, above that their practical value over conventional heating/cooling decreases, below that they become too expensive for manufacturers to use).

5. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

I gave him a tour yesterday, and he found it interesting. I'll post pictures after I get everything assembled.

Thanks.

Thanks. :) You can't get in until after Fredrick is gone, because I won't have more than one around here.

6. Mark

Mark Elite Member

The only non-resistive type of electrical heater I can think of is a heat pump. Have you found a self contained small heat pump which would work in an ig cage? You have to as it is also mentioned that it can be switched to AC. Wow, I did not think this existed? How does the instalation go and where will the cooling coils be located?

This would be very efficient too, I will have to look into this. Do you have an info link?

7. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

I have. Since my wall thicknesses is 6mm and insultaing, it's even simpler. As I said, they use them in boats, but the boat versions are even more complicated...

They're super-simple to utilize, but they're far more expensive to buy than resistive heating. The cooling isn't anywhere near as efficient as heating, but there's seldom a reason to use it in a reptile cage - they're almost always warmer than ambient, unless they're very small, then the extra consumption is worth the small size and simplicity.

In my mind, every little gain is worth it when you're heating 192 cubic feet with electricity...

8. fuse

fuse Elite Member

bro, i have no experience with such big herps b4 but i have to say that your work is definitely well appreciated, i bet all the herps lovers here would wana have the best homes for their precious and i think u even go a step further by thinking like them.

u're great, and i'll anticipate the finished enclosure!!!

cheers

9. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

All my acrylic came in late last week. Here are some more under construction pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Are you sure the Ig isn't going to think he can just walk right through the walls?
    Nice cage though! :)

11. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

Considering our three dogs, I think he'll appreciate the walls.

I let him roam around to take a sniff, and he didn't bash into the acrylic, but he did lick it a few times... He'll probably notice that the white floor is the end of his safe area where the dogs cannot bother him - he already knows that about his current enclosure.

12. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

THAT is looking AWESOME!!! Great job, Eric!

13. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

Ballpark, what did it cost? It's really sharp, VERY nice work.

14. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

Time, plus ~1400 for materials, custom machining, fasteners, a few basic hand tools, taxes, etc.

Contrary to appearances, I did make a few small mistakes, which increased the cost a bit. The frame is much tougher than one would guess from it's appearance (it's amazingly light and strong...the pictures don't do it's size justice) and I was picky about all the materials I used since I plan to heat and humidify it to natural habitat levels. I used 256 square feet of materials to produce the walls (96), floor (32), ceiling (32), and windows/doors (96). My rough ballpark estimate is around 140 feet of frame and related materials, 42 fasteners, and some brackets. She weighs roughly 250 lbs and can be relocated in 8 large pieces (including doors) that will fit through average residential doorways (another design requirement I had).

After the enclosure is finished (so close, just one more piece to go), the next projects are mounting the climbing toys and assembling everything I need for the environmental control system.

Thanks. :)

(P.S. What hurts about the cost is an enclosure half the volume of this one, using the same wall materials and a cheaper frame material (which would be an option at the smaller enclosure size), it would have cost between 1/4th and 1/3rd the price to build... *sigh* Iguanas are not for the lacking of space, faint of heart, or light of pocketbook.)

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ain't THAT the truth!
    And they are sold as a "beginners lizard!"
    Yeah Right! :rolleyes:

16. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

My "sigh" went with the last sentence...and I totally agree. I probably should have included "lacking in knowledge", too.

[sarcasm]
    I also love the "great pet for kids" line. On a "cute" whim, I'd definitely buy a 10 year old kid a little green lizard with unique care requirements, that costs more to feed than an average dog, requires a special vetrinarian, lives for 20+ years, grows to ~6 feet in legth, may be dangerous, requires massive enclosures, and will likely just be a phase of interest. I mean, doesn't every 10 year old kid have an allowance of 15-20 bucks a week, budget for greens/supplies/expenses, and know that it's a commitment for twice as long as they've been alive?
    [/sarcasm]

Not that most iguanas live long, even with adult keepers. Most die horrible deaths due to myths and neglect.

17. Mark

Mark Elite Member

In all the reading I have done on your cage I failed to see one thing size. I know you said it was 192 cubic feet somewhere so is it safe to assume it is the same size as mine at 4 deep 8 wide 6 tall?

Cost yeah... Vet cost, food cost, lighting, and surgery aside my costs for Bob would have been a lot less had I not built over 10 cages for him. One of which I built only intending to use for 2 weeks, anyone want to buy a slightly used cage?

This is kinda cool to notice, you are spending about $1 per gallon on your cage. 192 cubic feet ~= 1440 gallons US.

18. EricJ

EricJ Active Member

Yeah, same exact dimensions. It's technically a little over 6.5 feet tall with the top portion, but the important part is the interior.

Isn't it insane? Overall, they're more expensive than most dogs...

That's a cool observation.

When I consider that, it seems like the enclosure is fairly reasonable. As aquariums get bigger, their price goes up quite a bit per gallon. Most 100 gallon tanks are over 500 dollars, which is over 1/3rd the cost of my enclosure, and I have over 14 times the volume...

19. Mark

Mark Elite Member

I have kept the 1440 gallon number in mind for use on other forums. Quick way to make the point that large cages are needed and "large" is not a 75 or 100 gallon fish tank.

I had to make mine so it would fit ontop of a 3 foot tall deck made of a 4x8 sheet of ply in a room with 9 foot cielings -- I have about 1/4 inch of vertical clearence and the sides are flush with the edge of the deck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.