This Disappears When Logged In

Foxfire Mushroom?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by docdubz, Feb 8, 2012.

1. docdubz

docdubz Member

Im looking for information on Foxfire.. I really havent been able to find much on it online. Is it safe to keep in a vivarium or is it more of a species only kind of thing?

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

No idea off hand but perhaps this may help you out?

3. docdubz

docdubz Member

Thanks, that is the best info that ive been able to find and still all i know about them is they are parasitic to wood..... I thought it would be a cool addition but since theres an overall lack of info on them I think im just gonna fork out some money and get a bonsai tree

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

5. docdubz

docdubz Member

yea i figure its more than likely not good for herps or other plants but how cool would that be if it was? it would add a whole new dimension to my cage. I was thinkin maybe ill look into doing it safer, like making faux-foxfire. i mean it wouldnt be bioluminescent but it would glow for a couple minutes once the lights are out

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Yea, make faux fungi and use non-toxic blacklight or phosphorescent paint/markers to color it in...
    For instance.

You won't have to care for it or worry about it harming any other living organisms in the enclosure.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just don't put an animal under the blacklight.

And I am not sure about the mushrooms but many bioluminescent organisms are toxic.

A single firefly will kill an adult bearded dragon