This Disappears When Logged In

Founded Green Leopard Frog Not Eating

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by NetworkLabs, Nov 2, 2011.

1. NetworkLabs

NetworkLabs Banned User

About 2 weeks ago, I'd founded what we believe is to be a Green Leopard frog. Only thing is she has stripes instead of spots, and see hasen't eaten since. She is a small frog, but doesn't show anything of being a tadpole recently. I will post a picture ASAP. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

best bet is to let it go. Many animals do not adapt well to captivity, and leopard frogs, and their close relatives require a LOT of space to thrive.

4. NetworkLabs

NetworkLabs Banned User

Thanks for the link! I think she now might be a Pickeral frog or whatever they're called. Again thanks. Also, I live in Texas.

5. NetworkLabs

NetworkLabs Banned User

I was also told by a frog expert at PetSmart that my container is okay for now.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would have to agree with Jen, wild frogs should be left in the wild! Not to mention that this type of frog hibernates from now until spring.

7. justor

justor Elite Member

I find it very doubtful that petsmart has a frog "expert".

8. NetworkLabs

NetworkLabs Banned User

Okay, Auqatic expert, to be more specfic.

9. justor

justor Elite Member

Still... Don't take anything you hear at petsmart at face value. Look into it. Anybody can get a job there. Just because they like frogs and work at a pet store doesn't make somebody an expert on anything.

10. NetworkLabs

NetworkLabs Banned User

Nevermind! She just ate a cricket!

11. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Amen!

If you found that frog it will probably be a lot happier if you let it go. There are plenty of captive bred frogs out there that you can buy that will last a lot longer and not be as stressed about living in captivity.

12. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

explain your "container"

If you do not have everything set up just right, your frog won't eat.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In other words they work in the fish section! That does not mean that they know squat about frogs.
    And most of them don't know about FISH either!

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Unless by "Container" you mean 55 gallon or larger tank or stock pond, or we have not got your frog labeled as the correct species, then the pet-smart 'expert' was sorely mistaken (If they are indeed an expert, I trust they were able to provide you with the scientific name of your species?). Frogs in the genus Rana (bullfrogs, leopard frogs, pickerel frogs, etc) generally get large, and are capable of taking some very lengthy leaps. If your 'container' cannot accommodate those leaps, you will be looking at a smashed skull very shortly. If the head trauma doesn't do your frog in, the infections from injuries very likely will.

15. NetworkLabs

NetworkLabs Banned User

Hmm... Look's like I need some stuff... Time to upgrade!