This Disappears When Logged In

Found Turtle Shell

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by earthflower, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earthflower

earthflower New Member

Hello,

While out walking today I saw something, and I wonder if anyone knows of anything I could do? It was around 10:00 AM. In the apts where I live there is a large natural lake, and I often times see turtles out basking in the sun. There is also a side walk that borders the lake in a way, and if you walk down a slanting hill through the grass you'll find yourself at the bank. Well as I was walking I saw something off in the distance that resembled a turtle with it's head drawn into it's shell. It was far away from the bank, actually quite a distance from the water, so I, out of curiosity, went down to see what it was. What I found was shocking- it was the empty shell of a turtle, scraped clean on the inside, and only the shell and the bones of its back legs remained. There were flies around it, and the bones themselves were blackened, as though with fire or heat. I went walking yesterday with my dog and it wasn't there. So I infer that it must have happened very recently. Only the shell and the leg bones remain, and I believe that it was the working of a human, not some predator. If it was the idea of a prank or joke, it certainly isn't funny. It was a heinous and awful act that I hope will never be repeated.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

what you can do? Not much I believe. I hate people.

Welcome to the board.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to the HCN. People are terrible but there isnt much you can do in these situations.

4. earthflower

earthflower New Member

Yeah, I guess you guys are right... Thanks for the welcome, schlegelbagel (Liz)

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the neighborhood! sorry to hear about the poor turtle. really the only thing you can do is keep an eye out to see if you you see anything else like that happening. Especially seeing as how you would want to know if people are being cruel to animals if only to be able to protect your own dog... good luck!

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It sounds more to me that what you found was a turtle that had died and been consumed by mother natures little clean up crew of scavangers. I have found similar remains in the woods.

7. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Well, lets hope so because that would be mean. I am, though, the perfect example of how ignorant people can be sometimes because I went fishing with some family a while back, probably a year or so and we also went hunting turtle because they ate their meat:( (a southern thing). It was wrong and cruel, but I didn't know any better and neither did they and they still don't. So we don't need to get mad or try and get revenge, but try and raise awareness. I still have the shell of a turtle we sadly killed and plan on using it to bring awareness. I plan on taking a bad thing and using it to my advantage.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I personally have no problem with animals being killed and used for food. Really no different than picking up a hamburger at the local joint! The meat allhas to come from somewhere!
    It's the people that kill them just for the joy of killing and just toss the bodies that chaps me.

9. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Sorta agree with Merlin on this. Ive had deer, rabbit, gator, turtle, duck, goose and kangaroo. They are all tastey lol. I would love some gator tail right now. It sounds like it died and then was eaten, but who knows. Take the shell and clean it up. Be a nice thing to have.
    To judge someone on eating turtle or any other wild animal I think is a bit wrong. To kill just to kill ya thats wrong. To hunt for the sport and eat the meat and have the head mounted on the wall. Nothing a bit wrong with it.

10. schlegelbagel

I agree with Merlin too. My brother in law hunts to feed his family. As long as its killed for a reason and doesn't suffer, I'm fine with it. Hunting to just kill things is a bit on the way to being a serial killer in my book.

11. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Yeah, but we killed a gator snapper which is extremly endangered. I agree with killing for food and the animal shouldn't be endangered. I should have explained a little more.

12. schlegelbagel

ah yes, endangered ones are a big no-no

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.