This Disappears When Logged In

Found This Little Guy Today!

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by mitch303, Mar 7, 2012.

1. mitch303

mitch303 Member

Found this little guy when i was walking down the stairs today to the basement. I am pretty sure he is a baby bull snake he was shaking his tail like a rattler but i couldnt see any rattle.

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks like a hognose, by the pattern, but photo is small and I can't see the head.

3. mitch303

mitch303 Member

yea it was kind of hard to take a good photo while he kept trying to strike me lol. I dont know how a hognose would of got in my house, I live in colorado bull snakes and rattlers are pretty common.I dont think the head was round enough to be a rattlesnake though.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hopefully someone can Identify him for us!

I just googled snake of Colorado and you guys have so many different snakes there.

5. mitch303

mitch303 Member

really i always thought we just had bullsnakes garder snakes and western diamond backs

6. Notafrog

Notafrog Active Member

Definitely a bull snake. It has the classic block pattern and stripes on its tail. Even the little mask. Beautiful.

Also bulls love to rattle their tails. They are great mimics.

7. mitch303

mitch303 Member

yea thats what i thought. They look so much like rattlers.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. Its a bull snake!
    Their rattlesnake imitation has gotten many of them killed!

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

These guys are beautiful when younger, they loose some of the reds and all as they age. At least I have yet to see the youth colors in adults. My first thought was also the Bull/Gopher snake, I've seen SOOO many in the field out here in CA, our "Big Snake" of the region :p

10. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Hognoses are native here. That's definitely a bull snake, though. We catch them all the time and relocate them.

Just a word of warning, though, baby rattle snakes don't have rattles. Be careful when picking up animals you can't identify.