This Disappears When Logged In

Found This Hanging Out Of My Iguana... What Is It???

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Gloria, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Gloria

Gloria Member

Today when I was cleaning my iguana off with a washcloth, I noticed that she had something hanging out of her vent. It looked like a type of string, so I thought "Uh oh! Must've got my hair stuck" since it was the same color, but after pulling on it this is what came out... I Googled what had happened and the result "Cloacal Prelapse" came up, but from what I read this only happens in females when they're laying eggs and mine hasn't even been in contact with either of my two male iguanas like that. I was hoping someone could shed some light on what this is??? Not sure if its just a dried up piece of sh** but its definitely making me a bit worried. 20170616_163814.jpg 20170616_162148.jpg 20170616_163820.jpg

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

A prolapse is where the cloaca goes inside out; this isn't a prolapse. Did your iguana eat something weird? Something with a long stem maybe?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I cannot say what it is, how hard did you pull?
    Females will becomer gravid on a regular basis once sexually mature whether or not they have copulated with a male. How big is the iguana right now, as maturity is more to do with snout to vent length)?

4. Gloria

Gloria Member

She's only been eating collared greens, but I guess there's a chance she might have ate something while she was roaming in my room. She's always next to my fiance's hats though so I'm not sure what she ate if she did. Maybe it was just a stem or a string from the collared greens? I usually try not to throw them in their food but I might've missed one. I'm really glad its not a prolapse though, just reading about that had me freaking out.

And I didn't have to pull hard at all, it came out pretty easily. And she's still considered a juvenile iguana. We've had her for almost a year but she hasn't grown much. Focused most of that energy on growing her tail back after she lost it. 20170510_142823.jpg

Merlin likes this.
  5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you show a photo of the whole enclosure and give some details of the conditions?
    If the compact coil UVB bulb is the main source they are not very effective at all, there is also a risk of eye damage if the animal gets too close (similar to "snow blindness") I would recommend you remove it immediately and replace it with something more suitable.
    How long is the iguana allowed to free roam in the room each day?

6. Gloria

Gloria Member

Tbh that is basically the whole enclosure. Where the rock is in the corner is the floor. My fiance is in the middle of building each of our iguanas a suitable one that is big enough and more spacious. We've been using a 26W Exo Terra UVB bulb which keeps each enclosure at a temperature of about 90 on one side and a low 80 on the other. Each of them spends the entire day under the light, before crawling over to the other side to scratch at the doors in an effort to get out. When they do free roam, they're usually out for about 5 hours if we let them out during the day. But we've started to have them bask all day, and then when they finish their food around 6 or 8 we let them out and they stay out for the whole night to sleep.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for more details... The UVB coil bulb will give off a minimum of heat. The reason the iguanas are spending so much time basking is because they cannot thermoregulate efficiently, especially in terms of increasing their core body temps. I think that is the main reason for a lack of growth (all the energy would not be needed to regrow the tail).
    How are you measuring the temps and humidity (including both ambient and basking surface temps) and where is the basking site/object?
    Unless your home closely resembles their natural habitat in terms of temps and humidity, allowing them to free roam will be a serious risk to their health, they will lose heat in literally minutes (moreso the smaller animal).
    Please show photos of their enclosures, I understand they may not be "optimum" at present but it`s very important to see if there are modifications you can make to improve them until better tanks can be built.

AmityReptiles likes this.
  8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Is there a possibility that she is a male? It reminds me of the sperm plugs my male left everywhere as he matured.