This Disappears When Logged In

Found Injured Tree Frog

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by Froggyfrank, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Froggyfrank

Froggyfrank New Member

Ok, I tried to look up information on what to do for this little guy and the only thread I could find that was close to my situation just had people telling the person to take their frog to the vet and giving her the third degree.... Which I totally agree with when it comes to caring for a pet. My situation though is that my little boy just found an injured tree frog in our house. I went to put him outside when I noticed it looks like his leg is severed and just hanging by a piece of skin. I wanted to ask if it is best for me to clip the piece of skin holding the leg on or just leave it alone and let it fall off? Anyone I have asked has told me to just feed him to my turtles but I cannot bring myself to do that. It is a tiny baby tree frog and from what I hae been reading tonight, their limbs grow back? I don't want to kill him, I personally cannot kill anyways. I also don't want him suffering so if it is best to put him down i have to wait for my neighbor to get home and do it for me which is a couple of hours. I cannot get him to a vet obviously at this time of night and honestly the soonest I would be able to get him to a vet would be Monday. I am completely willing to get him to a vet if anyone thinks he can survive this injury! So I don't "own" him although my 4 year old has affectionately named him Frank. Also, He is hopping around quite well.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No their legs won't grow back. Certain reptiles can grow their tail back but they don't regrow limbs.
    Frogs are highly delicate creatures so I don't know if he will be able to survive this. I know lizards can so be should be able to if it isn't too bad.

Can you post some pictures of his wound and of him please? This would allow us to gauge the severity of the injury and give better advice.

3. AshDM

AshDM New Member

So I just "saved" a tree frog that was laying on my pool deck out in the hot sun drying out, who I assume was in the water at one point. We live in Florida and have a salt water pool. The fact that he/she is still alive at all is astonishing. It's pretty big though, and moves pretty well...just seems very lethargic. I got some spring water and covered it on my patio with some birds of paradise leaves and wanted to know if there is anything more I can do to help it? Its eyes are all crusted over with scabs from the pool water and not sure if it will hurt it if I try to clean them off gently. I was going to try diluting some pedialyte and spring water as I've read in other posts...Any suggestions.