This Disappears When Logged In

Found Chewed Turtle, Should It Die In The Wild Or In My Care?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by marisa.d, Apr 4, 2016.

?

Die?

1. Marsh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Under my care

50.0%
  3. other

50.0%
  1. marisa.d

marisa.d New Member

My puppy was chewing on, what i believe to be, a mud turtle two days ago. its a little larger than the size of my palm, so probably still a baby. I've kept it in a box in my garage with a plate of water and attempted to feed it both kale and live mealworms, but i'm not sure its eaten anything. Today i bought some anti-infection liquid for turtle water and am attempting to feed it dried shrimp with some calcium powder. I try to leave it alone in a quiet place because i don't want to stress it out more, so i cant watch it much but it does move around and burrow under the paper towels i put in there.

My dilemma is that the turtle has a gaping hole in its back shell, and if you get at a low angle you can see a lot of pink and white, even yellow(possibly it's insides... which would explain why it doesn't eat maybe?). some parts of the front of the shell were chewed off but they're still intact and not that severe, as are all its limbs. It still pops its head out sometimes and can move around. I'm not sure its an injury that it can survive, and if it does die i'm wondering if it would die... more "comfortably"..... in the marsh (its own habitat) or under my care trying to save it. I wont be taking it to a vet, as its a wild animal and it seems unnecessary.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You need to contact a wildlife rescue in your area and bring it in for care. Just google your area, state and "wildlife rehabilitation center". If you are in Virginia I know a few I can refer you to.
    Edit: You may also contact your states Department of Game and Inland Fisheries for advice, depending on where you live it may be illegal for you to keep a wild animal without a permit/license.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  3. marisa.d

marisa.d New Member

I did not know these existed! I'm in South Carolina sorry, but I found one forty minutes away from me. Is it safe to put it in my car and drive for that long? I'll call this organization asap and see if they will take him.

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Driving it there and having it die is better than not driving it anywhere and having it die. If you just put it in a box or something with a towel so it doesn't slide and roll it shouldn't do much harm.

5. mshrmheadcharge

A 40 min car ride won't be the death of this little turtle. A little Tupperware container should be fine for transport. I would wrap it in a towel to keep it dark inside the container.
    Good luck and let us know the outcome!

6. marisa.d

marisa.d New Member

I just took him to a vet place and the turtle people will be picking him up Wednesday to (hopefully) fix him up. Thanks so much for your help I haven't been able to think straight because I've been so worried about the little guy I made sure to give the place a good tip for their work :^)

gayckojoy likes this.
  7. mshrmheadcharge

Yes! That's awesome news. I'm in the (long) process of obtaining a wildlife rehabilitation licence. Most likely the vet will treat the turtles wounds and broken shell then the wildlife center will take over his/her treatment.
    Keep a look out for other turtles your pup may encounter, you don't want him chewing on a snapper...

gayckojoy likes this.
  8. marisa.d

marisa.d New Member

hope you get it soon, you're doing a good thing for the world. i will definitley keep an eye on what she chews from now on!

9. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

Take it to a nearby rehabber. Good luck with the little guy!

10. Garters45

Garters45 Well-Known Member

Oops, didn't read the most recent posts! Glad you found someone to help him. :)