This Disappears When Logged In

Found An Injured Garter Snake...opinions Welcome & Appreciated!

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Fairian, May 9, 2015.

1. Fairian

Fairian New Member

Found on a bike trail, he/she is about 14" long.

Cannot move from the waist down, but can wriggle last inch & a half of his tail. The middle section that doesn't move has healed puncture wounds at the start & end of the section. He seems lively, just can't move...much. He can't crawl but he can wrap up his body around stuff...like right now he's entwined around some leaves in his cage. He can pull his body up & coil it, but he can't move forward in any direction or climb.

I was hoping that since his tail moves, he may regain use of the midsection of his body, with time?

Will he die if I keep him in an aquarium? I know most wild animals do not do well in captivity.

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

The best thing to do would be to give the snake to a local rescue organization. This sounds like quite a serious problem and the animal needs to be seen/supervised by a professional. As a last resort you could keep it, seeing as it would probably die in the wild anyway. Although if you intend to treat it then you need to be prepared for high vet bills. It will certainly not do well if kept in inappropriate conditions, you need to do your research before attempting to keep any animal. But don't be surprised if he doesn't live very long - you don't know what kind of injury he's sustained and the stress of being in a new environment and handled by you is not going to help. Still, I hope you can find a place or organization that is willing to help the poor guy. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck:)

3. KhantiMetta

KhantiMetta Active Member

As far as keeping it goes, it depends on the size. I took in a garter with a minor injury and she did well for 2 years and then I released her and she did pretty well, but she was small so I didn't have to worry about whether her tank was big enough. I would take the snake to a professional for the injury, but if you don't have money to spare then you could probably keep in a tank so long as it is big enough.