This Disappears When Logged In

Found an Injured Florida Cottonmouth...help Please

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by RepMontreal, Oct 4, 2011.

1. RepMontreal

RepMontreal Well-Known Member

While driving to a friends house I stopped to investigate an injured snake on the road. I knew it was venomous so I restrained it and tied it in a snake bag. Right now I have it secured, and it's a lot more active than it was when I first found the animal.

I have a passion for all species of reptiles, so I would really like to see this animal survive. It appears to have been hit about a third of away down its body. There is some damage along the spine, but it doesn't appear to be anything more than a flesh wound.

What I am concerned about is internal bleeding, there was blood coming from his mouth and a small puddle of it where the animal was curled up on the road. I believe it may have some internal damage in the upper half of its body, its head also appears to have some damage.
    Despite the injuries, the snake is still defensive, though obviously very weak. I skeptically checked to see if the Florida wildlife institute would take in injured venomous snakes. Turns out they don't.
    I live near Gainesville, Florida. Does anyone know what I should do with the animal? Im not being dumb about handling the snake and Im not planning on messing with him at all. I was wondering if I should ask the people at the reptile store if they would be interested in taking it, because they deal with venomous animals.

Any ideas? Im open to just letting the animal go as well, fully aware that if the injuries don't prove fatal, it can heal on its own. Thank You

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

You could try contacting the veterinary department at the University of Florida. I know they work with exotics, maybe someone there could help? My only other idea is a zoo.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just be aware that the snake CAN bite you thru a snake bag!

5. RepMontreal

Yes I was definitely caring the bag far from my body and whenever I picked it up I always secured the snake to the bottom of the bag. I took a quick look at him before I came to school. Don't believe he made it through the night.

6. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

Thats so sad man, I am sorry to hear we lost it. But I have to give you props for trying to save the little guy no matter her much of a danger he can be. I probably would of done the same thing

7. RepMontreal

Im always glad to hear from people that share the same love for animals as I do, even the venomous ones.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sad that he didn't make it! I've heard that a lot of snakes go on the roads for the heat, very unfortunate!

9. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

You would have had a hard time finding someone to rehab it even if it could be saved. Ideally it would have been released after healing and no one (especially a zoo) wants to risk introducing disease to their native population. Nice try and sorry for the unhappy ending.