This Disappears When Logged In

Found Alligator Lizard - Help!

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by NerdyBee, Nov 24, 2013.

1. NerdyBee

NerdyBee Member

Hi Everyone. I am a newbie to this site. So this alligator lizard has been living in my garage for about two months now. I leave water for it and it has been sustaining itself on the overgrown cricket population that was present lol.

My issue now is that the crickets are running low and it gets very cold in the garage. My parents have also started rearranging the garage and want the lizard out. I set out a homemade trap made out of a shoe box on a heating pad so we will see if I can catch it. I however feel bad releasing the little guy (or girl) because it is getting so cold outside where I live and my coworker said it's probably decided the garage is where it wanted to hibernate. I currently work at a vivarium where we keep other reptiles and care for them there but I’m not sure if that would be the best place to bring the lizard just because it may be handled before its ready and quarantined etc. I also am not sure if I will be able to keep it at home because of my parents (but I will do my best to convince them if its what’s best).

So I really want to know what all of you think is best for the lizard because I know they are prone to becoming very stressed and I would hate for it to die because of me. It also has such a beautiful long tail that I really don’t want it to drop lol. If I end up keeping it I would go buy a nice container for it to live in and handle it as little as possible. So please let me know what you all think and then I can decide what is best! Thank you in advance!

2. NerdyBee

NerdyBee Member

Also if anyone could give any trap ideas that do not involve noosing or hand catching that would be great. I don't have any crickets to put in the shoe box right now but I can probably pick up some tomorrow so hopefully that will make the trap more enticing. Or if you could think of any other food item to put in there. The shoe box has an opening at the top and I covered that opening with plastic wrap and then cut a hole in the plastic wrap so the lizard can get in but hopefully not out and still be able to breathe.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Catching with a noose can be problematic but not un-doable. Do you know what species it is? I think a couple are protected and you will not want that kind of attention. However I see your predicament about weather issues, depending on where you live. Good luck on catching it, carefull with that heating pad, they get rocket hot and could kill it.

I've used a Tupperware type container with a hole cut in the side with damp moss and a hot rock (remember those :p) on top of the Tupperware. The heat kept the inside warm and moist and inviting :p Worked a few times...

Alligator lizards are pretty cool and have some rather interesting personalities, and teeth... By the way don't think they look good as earrings... trust me... no good will come of it... Ah youth...

If you catch it and keep in in house with commercial foods (crickets from pet store) you may have to keep it. Reason is that you have no clue what cooties the crickets or any of your gear will be using can affect the lizard and than releasing it will expose the local populations to this "New" contagion that they may not be able to deal with. Reports have made it back of some die offs from escaped pets. Rare but why take the chance. Now al this depends on the ID of said lizard...

4. NerdyBee

NerdyBee Member

Ok thanks for the advice! I could probably get some moss from my work and try your method but I do not have a hot rock. Oh ok that makes sense, don't want to effect any animal populations. As for identification, I have seen it a couple times and it looks like a Northern Alligator Lizard of some sort to me but I live in southern California and I'm not sure if they occur here.

5. NerdyBee

NerdyBee Member

Caught it! Actually looks like a southern because it has the banding pattern. And looks like its a female by the head size

6. alilmonkey

alilmonkey New Member

Hope he finds a good home. :)

7. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member